By Kenneth Udeh, Abuja
The ruling All Progressive Congress (APC) had shortly after the general election in April 2019 unanimously adopted Senator Orji Uzor Kalu, a former member of the House of Representatives and Two Term Governor of Abia State as the Chief Whip of the 9th Senate.
Senator Kalu’s selection was subsequently ratified on Tuesday, June 11, 2019, with the swearing-in of the members and other emerging presiding officers of the Ninth National Assembly, led by Ahmad Lawan as the President of the Senate.
It is worthy to note that the Abia North Legislator,emerged as a principal officer of the Senate, as a first time Senator at the hallowed chamber.
Taking to his social media pages soon after his inauguration, Kalu wrote ” I was inaugurated on the 11th of June as the Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria representing Abia-North Senatorial zone. The inauguration marks the beginning of a New Abia-North of prosperity and possibilities.
The Journey is a joint task poised towards giving the good people of Abia-North in particular, and Nigerians in general a platform to reap the dividends of democracy through relevant bills, projects and empowerments.
Matching his words with Action, Senator Orji Uzor Kalu has since rolled out human impacting infrastructure projects, bills and Motions which has so exceeded the concomitant expectations of a first time Senator.
Aside from the numerous infrastructure works put in his Abia-North constituency, below are the list of Senator Orji Uzor Kalu’s bills and Motions at the National Assembly in line with his Legislative agenda aimed at improving the lives of Nigerians and strengthening the tenets of the Nation’s Democracy.
- A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND THE ADMINISTRATION OF CRIMINAL JUSTICE ACT 2015 AND OTHER RELATED MATTERS BILL 2020.
- A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND COMPULSORY, FREE UNIVERSAL BASIC EDUCATION ACT 2004 TO PROVIDE FOR INCREASED FUNDING OF BASIC EDUCATION IN NIGERIA BILL 2021.
- A BILL FOR AN ACT TO AMEND THE NATIONAL ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARDS AND REGULATIONS ENFORCEMENT AGENCY (ESTABLISHMENT) ACT, 2007 TO PROVIDE FOR THE PREVENTION AND CONTROL OF ATMOSPHERIC AIR POLLUTION AND OTHER RELATED MATTERS THERE TO BILL 2021.
- A BILL FOR AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE ARMED FORCES SERVICE COMMISSION TO ENSURE THE FEDERAL CHARACTER OF THE ARMED FORCES PURSUANT TO CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION OF SECTIONS 218.(4 ) AND 219 OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AS AMENDED.,BILL 2021.
- A BILL FOR AN ACT TO PRESCRIBE THE NUMBER OF JUSTICES OF THE COURT OF APPEAL BY INCREASING THE NUMBER TO ENSURE SPEEDY ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE.PURSUANT TO CONSTITUTIONAL PROVISION OF SECTIONS 237(2) (b}) OF THE CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA AS AMENDED BILL 2021,
- NIGERIAN RAILWAY CORPORATION ACT, 1955 N129 LFN 2004 (REPEAL AND RE-ENACTMENT) BILL, 2021.
- A BILL FOR AN ACT TO ALTER THE CONSTITUTION OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA 1999 (AS AMENDED) TO PROVIDE THAT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT AND THE STATE GOVERNMENTS SHALL HAVE CONCURRENT LEGISLATIVE POWERS ON RAILWAY, AND TO PROVIDE FOR MATTERS RELATED THERETO, 2021.
- A BILL FOR AN ACT TO PROVIDE A LEGAL FRAMEWORK FOR THE MAINSTREAMING OF CLIMATE CHANGE RESPONSES AND GREEN ECONOMY INTO GOVERNMENT POLICY FORMULATION, IMPLEMENTATION AND THE ESTABLISHMENT OF THE NATIONAL COUNCIL ON CLIMATE CHANGE AND FOR RELATED MATTERS, 2021.
- A BILL FOR AN ACT TO ESTABLISH THE NATIONAL FOOD BANK AND TO PROVIDE FOR MATTERS CONNECTED WITH OR INCIDENTAL TO THE FOREGOING, BILL 2021.
- URGENT NEED TO INVESTIGATE THE LOSS OF $9 BILLION DOLLARS ANNUALLY DUE TO THE ILLEGAL MINING AND SMUGGLING OF GOLD IN NIGERIA.
- URGENT NEED TO RESUSCITATE AND RE-ACTIVATE THE REHABILITATION AND CONCESSION OF THE EASTERN RAIL LINE PROJECT.
- NEED TO ENSURE SAFE HAULAGE VEHICLE OPERATIONS IN NIGERIA.
- URGENT NEED TO REVITALIZE THE MARITIME SECTOR AND ENCOURAGE INDIGENOUS SHIPPING COMPANIES WITH A VIEW TO PREVENT THE LOSS OF OVER $17 BILLION DOLLARS ANNUALLY DUE TO DEARTH OF NATIONAL SHIPPING LINE.
- NEED TO POWERING NIGERIA’S HEALTH CENTRES WITH RENEWABLE ENERGY .
- URGENT NEED TO CONDUCT A VIABLE AND INDEPENDENT STRESS TEST ON THE GENERATION, DISTRIBUTION AND TRANSMISSION CAPACITIES OF THE POWER SECTOR.
- URGENT NEED TO PROMOTE THE MENTAL HEALTH AND WELLBEING OF ALL NIGERIANS.
- NEED TO AVERT AVIATION SECTOR LOSS OF 2 BILLION ANNUALLY TO CAPITAL FLIGHT.
- NEED TO MAKING WATER SAFETY AND SWIMMING A PRIORITY THROUGHOUT NIGERIA ESPECIALLY AMONG OUR YOUTH.
- NEED TO HARNESS ENTREPRENEURIAL CREATIVITY AND INNOVATION AS A TOOL FOR POST COVID NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT IN NIGERIA.
- NEED TO INVESTIGATE THE NON-PAYMENT OF 7 BILLION US DOLLARS FROM NIGERIA’S FOREIGN RESERVES DISBURSED TO 14 GLOBAL ASSETS MANAGERS BY CBN SINCE 2006. 12. EXIGENT NEED THAT THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT INTERVENES THROUGH THE REHABILITATION AND AUGMENTATION OF RURAL WATER SCHEME TO MEET THE WATER DEMANDS AND SANITATION CHALLENGES PRESENTLY IN ABIA NORTH SENATORIAL DISTRICT.
- URGENT NEED FOR BANKING INFRASTRUCTURE AT ABIA NORTH SENATORIAL DISTRICT OF ABIA STATE.
- URGENT NEED TO IMPROVE FUNDING OF RESEARCH AND INNOVATION IN NIGERIA IN THE POST COVID19 ERA WITH A VIEW OF PROTECTING NIGERIA’S ENTREPRENEURIAL FUTURE.
- URGENT NEED TO PREVENT AND DISCOURAGE OPEN BURNING OF SOLID WASTES AND OTHER ENVIRONMENTAL HARMFUL PRACTICES IN VIEW OF THE ATTENDANT DANGERS POSED BY CLIMATE CHANGE AND COVID19.
N:B. (1) There are over 15 other Bills Sponsored by Senator Orji Uzor Kalu undergoing various stages of review at the National Assembly.
Culled by Kenneth Udeh;
Media Office of the Senate Chief Whip in collaboration with the Legislative Office of the Senate Chief Whip.