After the much anticipated presidential elections in February that saw Muhammadu Buhari as the re-elected winner despite opposing threats for a court order to nullify the results, the stage was set for another elections for Gubernatorial and National Assembly positions across the country. As usual, the news arena was filled with happenings making interesting headlines as Nigerians prepared to go to the polls again to exercise their national franchise.
All week, your preferred online news platform, 9News Nigeria, was on ground to keep you abreast of all the breaking news making the rounds both locally and internationally. If you missed any of the news that made headlines during the week, here’s a recap for you.
MONDAY, 4th MARCH
- I Founded APC, Have Sacked Oshiomhole For Anti-party Activities – Okorocha
Rochas Okorocha, governor of Imo state, says he has sacked Adams Oshiomhole, chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), for anti-party activities.
Reacting to his suspension from…
- Only Those With Integrity Will Make My Next Cabinet – Buhari Says
President Muhammadu Buhari says only those with integrity and interest of Nigeria will be considered in the next cabinet.
He also promised to appoint more women and youth…
- Tinubu Bans Ajimobi From Appearing At APC Governorship Rallies
APC’s woeful outing in Ajimobi’s expected stronghold has prompted protests from party leaders, with Bola Tinubu, the National leader, now personally overseeing the campaigns in a desperate bid to prevent a potential surrendering of the governorship to the PDP.
- President Buhari Orders CBN Governor To Leave!!
President Muhammadu Buhari’s has asked the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, to proceed on leave ahead of expiration of his tenure.
Emefiele was said to have received…
- Those Celebrating APC Victory Are Celebrating Criminality – PDP
Chairman of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Uche Secondus says those celebrating the victory of the All Progressives Congress (APC) are celebrating criminality.
He said this on Monday while addressing…
- Court cancels Kano PDP guber primary, orders fresh election within 14 days
A Federal High Court sitting in Kano has nullified the governorship primary election of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in Kano State.
The court presided over…
- Nigeria overtakes Egypt as largest rice producer in Africa
Nigeria has overtaken Egypt as the largest rice producer in Africa, Director-General,Africa Rice Center, Benin Republic, Dr Harold Roy-Macauley has said.
TUESDAY, 5th MARCH
- It’s A Shame Politicians Are Proud Of Rigged Elections — Oyedepo
The Bishop of the Living Faith Church, also known as Winners Chapel, David Oyedepo has lampooned the last presidential and National Assembly elections, which he said was marred with widespread rigging.
- Danny Young files N200m lawsuit against Tiwa Savage
Popular afro-pop music singer, Ajibola Olumuyiwa Danladi, aka Danny Young, has filed a N200 million lawsuit against Tiwa Savage and Mavins Records for alleged copyright infringement.
The singer decided to take legal action against Tiwa and…
- EFCC probes Atiku’s son-in-law for alleged laundering of €150m
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC ) is currently investigating Alhaji Babalele Abdullahi, a son – in – law of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar over alleged case of money laundering to the tune of € 150 million…
- INEC Robbed APC, Akpabio Of Victory – Buhari Alleges
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday alleged that the votes of the people of Akwa Ibom State were stolen during the recent presidential and National Assembly elections, vowing that they would be reclaimed through…
- Failure To Replace Ronaldo’s Goals Is Real Madrid’s Biggest Problem – Modric
Real, chasing a fourth European title in a row, host Ajax in the second leg of their Champions League last-16 tie on Tuesday having won 2-1 in Amsterdam.
But they come into the game on the back of three consecutive home defeats…
- I Am Supporting, Not Moving Against Ajimobi – Tinubu Declares
Bola Tinubu, national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), says his relationship with Abiola Ajimobi, governor of Oyo state, is solid.
Tinubu was reacting to a report that…
- There May Be No General Elections In 2023 — PDP
Abuja – The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) on Monday resolved to report the actions of the military in the just concluded February 23 presidential and National Assembly elections through a petition to the United Nations (UN) as well as other global democratic institutions.
- Imported Thugs Arrested In Akwa Ibom Ahead Of Governorship Election (See Photos)
Some suspected thugs have been apprehended by police operatives earlier today in Akwa Ibom state.
According to reports, the men were allegedly imported from Edo and Ekiti states, ahead of the governorship election on Saturday, March 9, 2019.
WEDNESDAY 6th MARCH
- Nigeria About To Become The Next Venezuela – UK Telegraph
The definition of an emerging market, according to the old investment joke, is one from which it is impossible to emerge with your money intact. Few seem to prove this truism better than what was once Africa’s largest economy, Nigeria.
- APC Will Take Over Abia – Says Osinbajo
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo has said the All Progressives Congress (APC) will take over Abia State after Saturday’s governorship and states assembly elections.
Osinbajo, who was in Abia…
- I Will Retire To Daura In 2023 – President Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari says he will retire to Daura after he completes his second term in 2023.
Daura, in Katsina state, is the president’s hometown.
He spoke on Tuesday while…
- I am still with Mavin Record –Tiwa Savage
Nigerian singer and songwriter, Tiwa Savage has debunked rumours of her exit from Mavin Records which she signed into since 2012.
The 39-year-old mother of one was…
- Those questioning Buhari’s victory are challenging God’s authority — Bishop Ediwe
President Muhammadu Buhari’s victory at the presidential election is divine, hence those opposed to it are challenging “God’s authority” according to foremost Christian preacher Arch Bishop (Dr) Julius Ediwe.
- Court Sacks All APC Candidates In Cross-Rivers
Barely few days to the gubernatorial and House of Assembly elections in the country, a High Court in Calabar on Tuesday insisted that the removal of the All Progressives Congress, APC, candidates for the election in Cross River is a settled matter.
- “This Is My Last Lap, I’ll Try To Work Harder, I Will Not Let You Down” – Buhari Assures Nigerians
President Muhammadu Buhari said on Wednesday that he would work harder this second term in order not to disappoint Nigerians.
He spoke in Abuja when…
THURSDAY, 7th MARCH
- Tension As Fulani Herdsmen Strike Again, 45 Killed
At least 45 persons have been reportedly killed by suspected Fulani Herdsmen in Kware village of Shinkafi Local Government Area of Zamfara State about two days ago.
According to reports, more than…
- How ex-Air Chief siphoned N12bn from NAF account— Witness
Mr. Tosin Owobo, an investigator with Economic and Financial Crimes Commission EFCC, yesterday, narrated before a Federal High Court sitting in Lagos how Air Marshal Jacob Adigun, a former Chief of Accounts with Nigerian Air Force, NAF, used his companies to siphon N12 billion from NAF intelligence account.
- Teenage Boy Stabs His Football Coach To Death In Kano (Photo)
A suspect identified as Salisu Muhammed of Yakasai Quarters in Kano state, has been arrested over alleged murder.
The suspect was said…
- Governorship Election: Amaechi Endorses Awara Biokpomabo, Rivers AAC Candidate
Here is a moment Rotimi Chibuike Amaechi declared his support for AAC Gubernatorial candidate, Awara Biokpomabo during after the APC was denied a candidate for the election.
In his address, he explained how…
- 30 Killed By Gunmen In Zamfara – Police, Witnesses Reveal
At least 30 people have been killed by armed bandits who raided a village in Zamfara, police, and residents said Tuesday.
Motorcycle-riding gunmen attacked Kware village…
- “I’m Your Boss, I Won’t Stop Criticising You” – Obasanjo Bombs Buhari
Former Nigerian President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo said he would not stop criticising President Muhammadu Buhari until he does “what is right.”
Obasanjo who pointed out that criticism remains an…
- Governorship: Stop Okorocha From Rigging Imo Elections Or Imo Will Boil – Sen. Uzodnma Explodes
By Elizabeth Uwandu Owerri – AHEAD this Saturday governorship election in the country, the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in Imo State, Senator Hope Uzodinma has appealed to security agents to…
- Militants Were Unleashed On My Administration – Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari has said that militants were unleashed on his administration, thus daily crude oil production dropped from 2.1m barrel daily to half a million.
Buhari, who stated this Thursday while hosting…
FRIDAY, 8th MARCH
- 2019: I Weep For Abians (Must Read)
Yesterday, pictures of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu branded Tanker distributing free kerosene to people at Umunkpeyi and other locations circulated the social media space.
Many people were seen struggling to get…
- Former CBN Govenor, Wife Buy N15.6 Billion Property In UK
Paul Ogwuma, former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) and his wife have acquired property worth £33 million (N15.6 billion), a UK investigative journalism magazine has revealed.
According to the magazine,…
- Why Michael Jackson’s songs got banned in radio stations
Musicians, actors, comedians, directors, chefs, novelists, journalists — in the past 18 months, many famous people have been cancelled.
Not literally cancelled (though sometimes that, too) but disowned and boycotted by…
- No Certificate Of Return To Candidates Declared Winner Under Duress – INEC
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not issue certificates of return to any candidate declared winner of an election under duress.
Mahmood Yakubu, INEC chairman, made this known during a meeting…
- PDP Yet To Explain The Irresponsible Expenditure Of 1999 To 2014 — Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari has said that the People’s Democratic Party has yet to explain the “irresponsible expenditure” that took place between 1999 and 2014.
He said the main opposition party still has questions to answer on…
- Akpabio Withdraws Court Case Challenging Election Defeat
Former Senate minority leader, Godswill Akpabio, has withdrawn a case he filed in court challenging his Senate reelection loss.
Mr Akpabio’s lawyer, Sunday Ameh, announced the…
- INEC Office Set Ablaze in Akwa Ibom(Photos)
Less than twenty-four hours to the governorship/state House of Assembly elections, some parts of the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) office at Ibesikpo Asutan local council of Akwa Ibom state were in the early hours Friday gutted by fire by yet to be identified reasons.
- Reject Atiku’s claims against me – Buhari Begs Court
The Buhari Campaign Organisation (BCO), yesterday urged Justice Binta Mohammed of the High Court sitting in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Abuja, to strike out a motion filed by the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, seeking to…
- Court Sentences Man To Death By Hanging For Killing His Wife! (Photos)
The Lagos State High Court on Friday sentenced Lekan Shonde to death by hanging for killing his wife, Ronke.
Lekan Shonde, a depot worker in the Apapa area of Lagos State, was…
- Why APC Suspended Amosun, Okorocha, Osita Okechukwu & Usani Usani
On March 1, the National Working Committee (NWC) of the All Progressives Congress (APC) suspended Gov. Ibikunle Amosun of Ogun and Gov. Rochas Okorocha of Imo, for what it viewed as anti-party activities.
SATURDAY 9th MARCH
- Buhari Runs A Govt With No Direction – Financial Times London
The Financial Times of London says President Muhammadu Buhari has been running a government that lacks a clear direction in the last four years.
The respected newspaper therefore called on…
- Elections: Military Jets, Soldiers Take Over Rivers, Akwa Ibom, Kwara, Adamawa
There was palpable panic among residents in some key states of the country on Friday as the Nigerian Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance jets began air patrols over perceived flashpoints in the North-East, Kwara, Adamawa and Rivers states.
- “Don’t Waste Money On Tribunal” – Guru Maharaj Ji Advises Atiku
Founder of One Love Family, Satguru Maharaj Ji, has joined the party counselling, the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, against going to court to challenge the outcome of the February 23 elections.
- Thugs Set INEC Office Ablaze In Ebonyi
Suspected political thugs on Saturday morning attacked an Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, office in Ezza North local government area of Ebonyi state.
The Registration Area Center (RAC) in Umuoghara was…
- “Stop Gloating, Atiku Will Soon Reclaim His Mandate” – PDP Tells Buhari
The People’s Democratic Party (PDP) has asked President Buhari to stop gloating and showboating on Nigerians with what they described as “the stolen 2019 Presidential mandate”.
According to PDP, the ‘people’s candidate’, Atiku Abubakar would…
- INEC Postpones Election In Kogi LG, Gives Reasons
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has postponed the state House of Assembly election across Mopamuro Local Government Area of Kogi State.
The Electoral Officer, Mopamuro LGA, Mr Opanachi Ojodale, told…
- Nigeria’s Election a Sham, Not Credible – US lawmaker
American Congressman, Gerald Connolly, has bemoaned manipulation of elections in Nigeria, claiming they were a sham and not credible.
At an interactive session yesterday with constituents from Virginia who…
- APC Thug Burnt To Death While Trying To Hijack Election Materials In Akwa Ibom (Photo)
A suspected thug met his end today at the hands of angry youths in Akwa Ibom state.
According to reports, some thugs alleged…
- #LagosDecides: I’ll Emerge Winner – Sanwo-Olu Declares
The All Progressives Congress, APC governorship candidate in Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, has said he will emerge winner in the election holding in the state today.
The APC candidate made this known while…