Did you miss any of the news that made headlines during the week? Not to worry, here’s a recap of all the major news from 11th to 16th March. With all the latest local and international news in Politics, Sports, Business, Entertainment, and Lifestyle, 9News Nigeria always gets you covered. Subscribe to our daily news update to keep yourself abreast of the news, always.
MONDAY 11th MARCH
- ‘200 Soldiers Have Laid Seige On The Home Of Asari Dokubo, Set To Arrest Him’ – Fani-Kayode Uncovered
Former Aviation minister, Femi Fani-Kayode has cries out as 200 soldiers have laid siege on the house of ex- militant, Asari Dokubo in Rivers State and they are set to arrest him.
- INEC Declares El-Rufai As The Winner Of Kaduna Governorship Election
Nasir el-Rufai, governor of Kaduna state, return to office having secured the highest votes in the gubernatorial poll.
- The Four-Horse Race – Who Will Come Top?
By Emmanuel Ebimoh
It was a weekend of mixed emotions in the English Premier League – arguably the most suspense-filled league in the world. After 30 round of matches…
- Benue Governorship Election Declared Inconclusive
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has declared as inconclusive Saturday’s governorship election held in Benue State.
- Why We Declared Benue Governorship Election Inconclusive – INEC
The Independent National Electoral Commission has explained why it declared the Saturday’s governorship election in Benue State inconclusive.
- Governorship: Operation ‘Free Lagos’ Will Continue – Agbaje Declares
The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Mr. Jimi Agbaje, says the task to free Lagos from godfatherism and oppression will continue despite his defeat at the poll. Agbaje said…
- Wike Paid UK Consulate Officers $1 Million To Lie Against Military – Coalition
The Coalition for Change and Transparency (CCT) has accused Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State of sponsoring propaganda and fake news against the Nigerian Army during the just concluded Governorship and State Assembly elections.
- APC Beats PDP By A Gap Of Over 1.1m Votes To Clinch Borno Governorship
Babagana Umara-Zulum, a Professor and candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has been declared winner of the Borno State governorship election.
- No going back on plan to sync NIN with passport – Nigerian Govt.
The Federal Government says there is no going back on the April 29 date for the integration of the National Identity Number (NIN) with the new passport.
The Comptroller-General, Nigerian Immigration Service (NIS), Muhammad Babandede, made…
- INEC Shocks Okorocha, Removes His Name From The List Of People To Collect Certificate Of Return
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has reportedly shocked Governor Rochas Okorocha by removing his name from the list of people that will collect certificate of return.
TUESDAY, 12th MARCH
- INEC Declares Emeka Ihedioha Of PDP Winner Of Imo Governorship Election
The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, has finally declared Emeka Ihedioha of People’s Democratic Party the winner of IMO State Governorship Election.
- Zidane Reveals Why He Rejoined Real Madrid
Zinedine Zidane has said he decided to return as Real Madrid manager nine months after he walked away because he felt it was the right thing to do.
- Kano Governorship Election: See The Full Results As Released By INEC
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has released the results of the gubernatorial election for the controversial Nasarawa local government area of Kano state.
- Ganduje Loses Kano To Kwankwaso’s Son-in-law After Final Results
The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) governorship candidate, Abba Kabir-Yusuf, has got the highest number of votes from results of the 44 Local Government areas in Kano State.
- Nigerian Soldiers Stopped Us From Monitoring Rivers Elections — Says EU Observers
European Union, EU observers in their preliminary report in Abuja on Monday, said soldiers stopped them from monitoring Rivers election on Saturday. Head of the European Union observers group Maria Arena, who…
- We’ll start using single currency from 2020 – ECOWAS
There will be a single currency for selected member states of the Economic Council of West African States (ECOWAS) from 2020
This was revealed by…
- See The Moment Asari Dokubo Was Surrounded By Nigerian Army (Video)
Here is the moment Ex-Niger Delta Militant Leader Asari Dokubo was blocked by the Nigerian Army.
Asari can be seen sitting down outside…
- To Arrest Fani-Kayode, Odumakin, Follow Due Process – Court Tells EFCC, DSS, Police
The Federal High Court Abuja, on Tuesday, ordered the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission not to arrest Femi Fani-Kayode and Yinka Odumakin without following the appropriate due process of the law.
- Onnoghen absent from CCT over toothache, high blood pressure
The suspended Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Walter Onnoghen , was absent from the Tuesday ’s proceedings of the Code of Conduct Tribunal, where he has been charged with six counts of non -declaration of assets.
WEDNESDAY, 13th MARCH
- RIVERS POLLS: INEC apologises to NAF, says men in military uniforms were impostors
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has retracted its earlier claim at the weekend that military personnel took over its premises and hijacked the collation of results.
- MultiChoice launches Pop-Up channel for BBNaija
MultiChoice Nigeria said it has launched a Pop-Up channel for the fourth season of the Big Brother Nigeria, BBN show on DSTV and GOtv.
- UCL: Cristiano Ronaldo Hat-Trick Shoots Juventus Into Quarter Finals (Photo)
Cristiano Ronaldo put on a stunning display as Juventus triumphed over Atletico Madrid in their Champions League second leg clash at the Allianz Stadium, as the forward’s hat-trick confirmed a 3-2 win on aggregate.
- Akwa Ibom: “God Crushed APC’s Federal Might” – Gov Emmanuel Speaks On Victory
The governorship candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in Akwa Ibom State, Gov. Udom Emmanuel, Sunday night, reacted to his victory at the polls.
- Dino Melaye Divided Senate Meeting Over “Militarized Election” Statement
Senate was divided along party lines on Wednesday over a point of order to debate on alleged electoral malpractices brought by Senator Dino Melaye representing Kogi West Senatorial District.
- “You Can’t Withhold My Certificate Of Return” – Okorocha dares INEC
The Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha on Wednesday declared that the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, lacks the power to withhold his Certificate of Return.
- Government will demolish buildings that fail integrity test — Ambode
Following the building collapse in Lagos, Governor of Lagos State, Akinwunmi Ambode, on Wednesday, said that buildings within the vicinity of the collapsed building at Ita-Faji, on Lagos Island, would be subjected to integrity tests.
THURSDAY, 14th MARCH
- Ganduje’s Aide Resigns Over His Refusal To Concede Defeat In Kano Governorship
Alhaji Hashim Suleiman, the Senior Special Assistant on Urban Beautification to Governor Abdullahi Umar Ganduje, has tendered his letter of resignation to Secretary to the State Government.
- “Stay Away From My Adoration” – Father Mbaka Sends Strong Warning To Politicians
Rev. Father Ejike Mbaka, the Founder of Adoration Ministry has warned trouble politicians in the country to stay away from anything that concerns the spiritual affairs of his ministry.
- President Buhari Vows To Reverse “Terrible Mismanagement” Of Nigeria
President Muhammadu Buhari says the Federal Government is doing its best to correct and reverse the terrible mismanagement the country has experienced in the past.
- Juve Bought Me To Win Champions League, Says Ronaldo
Cristiano Ronaldo was signed to win Juventus the Champions League – and he might yet do just that, writes BBC.com. The Portuguese produced his latest masterclass in Europe’s elite competition to bring the Italian side back from…
- “Ignore The Rumors, Wakili Is Still Kano CP” – Police
The Kano State Police Command has dismissed rumours that the State Commissioner of Police, Muhammad Wakili has been transferred.
- Election Violence: Wike Plans Forceful Overthrow Of Government, Group Raises Alarm
A coalition has raised alarm over an alleged plot by Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State to overthrow the government of President Muhammadu Buhari.
It would be recalled that after Governor Wike’s failed…
- Will England Rule The World?
By Emmanuel Ebimoh
After an entertaining, free-scoring round of 16 football in the UEFA Champions League, eight teams have qualified for the quarter-finals stage of the competition: Juventus, Ajax…
- I Have Lost Faith In Nigeria’s Democracy – Okorocha Cries Out!
Imo State Governor, Rochas Okorocha, has dismissed the governorship/state Assembly election in the state as a sham and a mockery of democracy, saying that he has lost confidence in the nation’s democracy.
- See How Nigerian Man Embarrassed Apostle Suleman During Church Service In Canada(Video)
9news Nigeria has obtained a video showing the moment Apostle Johnson Suleman, the general overseer of the Omega Fire Ministries, was embarrassed by a Nigerian man during a convention last week in Ottawa, Canada.
- Governor Umahi Speaks On Planning To Dump PDP For APC
The Governor of Ebonyi State, Chief David Umahi, has berated Senator Sunny Ogbuorji, who is the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress, APC, in the just concluded 2019 general election for rumouring that he (Umahi) will defect to APC before May 29, 2019.
FRIDAY, 15th MARCH
- Tribunal Grants Buhari, APC Access To Inspect Electoral Materials
The Presidential Election Petition Tribunal on Thursday granted access to President Muhammadu Buhari and his party, the All Progressives Congress, to inspect the materials used for the conduct of the February 23 presidential election.
- BREAKING!!! 40 Killed in Mosque Attacks, Australian Tarrant The Gunman
Australian police have identified the gunman behind the horrific shootings at two Christchurch mosques in New Zealand today. He is Brenton Tarrant, an Australian citizen, said to be a right wing extremist.
- Woman Commits Suicide After Losing Two Children In Lagos Building Collapse
The collapsed building in Lagos Island on Wednesday resulted in a mother, who lost her two children in the incident, to commit suicide after she received news of the death of the children.
It was learnt that she gave birth to the two children,…
- Governorship Election: “They Are After My Life” – INEC Returning Officer Cries Out!
Mrs. Dominion Anosike, the returning officer for Tafawa Balewa Local Government Area of Bauchi State, in the gubernatorial election, has written to Prof. Mahmood Yakubu, the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC)…
- Champions League Quarter-finals – Man. United face-to-face with Barcelona
The quarter-finals draw for this year’s UEFA Champions League has been concluded with some juicy fixtures.
AFC Ajax vs Juventus
Liverpool FC vs FC Porto
- Finally, Okorocha Appeals To INEC Over Senate Certificate Of Return
Governor Rochas Okorocha has appealed to the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue him with certificate of return as the senator-elect for Imo West.
He made the appeal at a press conference in Abuja today.
- ‘Buratai, Military After My Life’ – Timi Frank Cries Out In Press Statement
Former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Timi Frank, has accused the Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General Tukur Buratai and the military high command of plot to kill him.
SATURDAY, 16th MARCH
- Igbo Man Vows To Support The Little Girl Who Was Chased Out Of School With 1million Naira (Photos)
A Nigerian philanthropist based in abroad, Chief Destiny has vowed to support the little girl who was chased out of school for not paying her fees with the sum of 1million Naira.
- How I Was Tortured, Asked To Implicate Saraki – Offa Robbery Suspect
The trial within trial of the five suspects involved in the Offa bank robbery in April 2018 continued on Friday at the State High Court sitting in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital.
During their arraignment…
- “President Buhari Poorer Than In 2015” – Pastor Yemi Osinbajo
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on has said that President Muhammadu Buhari is probably poorer now than when he became President of Nigeria in 2015.
The Vice President stated this on Thursday night…
- Atiku’s Campaign DG And Ex-Governor, Gbenga Daniel Resigns From PDP
A former governor of Ogun State, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, has officially resigned from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
In a letter addressed to the National Chairman of PDP,…
- “I Pray Next Transport Minister Has My Kind Of Passion” – Amaechi Says
Rotimi Amaechi who spoke on Friday ahead of the expected dissolution of Buhari’s cabinet to constitute a new one, said he prays the next Transport Minister has his kind of passion.
While it is believed that Amaechi,…