By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Sunday, Aug 23, 2026
9News Nigeria
  • HOME
  • EDITORIAL
  • POLITICS
  • NATIONAL
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY POLICY
9News Nigeria9News Nigeria
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Editorial
    • OPINION
  • Politics
  • National
    • Breaking News
    • Boko Haram
    • Crime and Investigation
    • Ohanaeze Ndigbo
  • Business
    • Nigerian economy
    • Investment
    • Finance
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment and lifestyle
    • Hollywood
  • World
    • Africa
    • Asia News
    • Australia
    • Europe
  • About Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms And Conditions
    • Contact Us
Follow US
Breaking NewsHot NewsNationalPolitics

BREAKING!! Again, Herders Murder 11 Persons In Benue, Nasarawa

Wisdom Nwedene
Last updated: April 12, 2018 6:06 am
By Wisdom Nwedene
Share
5 Min Read
Fulani herdsman
SHARE

Herdsmen Tuesday night invaded Gbeji and Tswarev communities in Ukum and Logo council areas of Benue State, killing no fewer than 10 persons.

The names of those killed, according to community sources, include Mtserkyaa lgbugh; Kananfa Amarfu; Tyavyar Akau; Orfega Hiikyaa; Kanyitor Uor; a suspected unidentified septuagenarian among others.

An eyewitness told The Guardian that several houses were torched and property worth millions of naira destroyed.

According two residents of Gbeji, Abraham Ngyenev and Abraham Azawe, the attack began at about 6p.m. when the herdsmen invaded their farms and destroyed crops for over three hours.

Similarly, three other persons were reportedly attacked and killed by nomads in some settlements in Tswarev, Logo Local Council, while injuring scores. The two council areas border each other.

In Logo, the affected communities were Channel One, Orveren and Ajura villages where Tor Imbor; Aondowua Mnyor and Msugh Ajura were feared dead in addition to several injuries and burning of houses by the assailants.

36 terrorists sent to afterlife as Air-Force strikes hit two hideouts in Borno
‘Fake Agency’ Director responds, produces Appointment Letter
APC Chairman Okpe Takes Delivery of Owerri West Campaign Bus
APC 2027: Uzodinma, Okorocha, Ekwunife Get Key Roles

Information from the invaded settlements also revealed that the attacks lasted for more than three hours without hindrance. A development, they said, forced hundreds of the villagers to flee the areas.

The Chairman of Logo Council, Richard Nyajo, while confirming the development, appealed to security agents to do more in safeguarding lives and property in the area.

His counterpart at Ukum, Iberlogo Tortyokyaa, who also confirmed the incidents in his domain, lamented the wanton killing of innocent people in the area. He called on the Federal Government to be alive to its responsibility of protecting lives and property.

The State Commissioner of Police, Fatai Awoseni, who corroborated the council bosses, however, noted that four corpses had been recovered.

Maintaining that the incidents were a brainchild of suspected herdsmen, Awoseni added that security had been beefed up in the affected areas.

Meanwhile, Governor Samuel Ortom has described the attacks as an extension of the terrorism perpetrated by Boko Haram.

He spoke yesterday in Makurdi while reacting to the renewed mayhem in parts of the state.

The governor stated that the manner in which the armed men invade the communities and slaughter innocent people was not different from the “mindless acts” of Boko Haram in the North East.

He said: “They come with sophisticated weapons and kill people. Machete and chase them away.”

Ortom said equally disturbing was the pattern of attacks whereby the armed militias occupy communities after killing and sacking the inhabitants.

He went on: “In some cases, they do not have the herds. They just come with their weapons, kill and chase the people out and take over the land and that is the worrisome part of it.”

The governor also condemned the recent attacks on Gwer West council area where several lives were lost and property worth millions destroyed.

Ortom said the trend in Benue was beyond mere grazing of livestock, arguing that if the invaders were only interested in grazing, the massive destruction of lives and property would not have been their priority.

He called for better presence of security personnel in parts of the state, especially the flashpoints, to avoid further loss of lives and the worsening humanitarian crisis with over 170,000 internally displaced persons in various camps across the state.

In Nasarawa, a woman was feared dead and many missing following an attack on Kadarko market in the early hours of yesterday.

An eyewitness, Agyer James, said the suspected herders invaded the popular Kadarko Market at about 9:00a.m., shooting sporadically.

He said: “The attack started at 8:30p.m. the previous night when we started hearing gunshot around the Kadarko primary school where IDPs are being camped.”
He said the victim, Miss Susan Jonathan, was gunned down by the marauding herdsmen inside the market.

The police public relations officer (PPRO), ACP Kennedy Idrisu, who confirmed the command had deployed more personnel to the area.

Also reacting, the president of the Tiv Youth Association, Comrade Peter Ahembe, warned that they could be compelled to defend themselves if the carnage persists.

Like this:

Like Loading…
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Surprise0
Angry0
Previous Article Executive Vice Chairman N C C. Prof. Umar Garba Dambata Making his point 1 Poor performance of telecoms network operators
Next Article audu ogbeh1 Expect More Deaths If Cattle Ranches Are Not Given – Audu Ogbe
Search
– Advertisement –
Latest News
  • Mary Habila laid to rest in Kaduna amid autopsy dispute August 23, 2026
  • No Vacancy In Nigeria’s Presidency Ahead of 2027- Yilwatda August 23, 2026
  • 101-year-old great-grandmother arrested for selling cannabis in Ogun August 23, 2026
  • 2027: 500 Northern Islamic scholars endorse Tinubu for re-election August 23, 2026
  • 36 terrorists sent to afterlife as Air-Force strikes hit two hideouts in Borno August 23, 2026
  • ‘Fake Agency’ Director responds, produces Appointment Letter August 23, 2026
  • APC Chairman Okpe Takes Delivery of Owerri West Campaign Bus August 22, 2026
  • Uzodinma Unveils Campaign Buses, Targets 100% APC Victory in Imo August 22, 2026
  • MacDonald Congratulates Uzodinma on Tinubu Campaign Appointment August 22, 2026
  • APC 2027: Uzodinma, Okorocha, Ekwunife Get Key Roles August 22, 2026
– Advertisement –
9News Nigeria
  • Editorial
  • OPINION
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
World News
  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Global Economy
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics
News Categories
  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • Sober House
  • National Security
Entertainment and Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships

You May also Like

IMG 5629
EbonyiNigeria News

I will not take Salary or Allowance — Minister’s Son Osborn Umahi Wins Council Election

August 22, 2026
IMG 5626
Nigeria NewsInsecurity

Troops rescue Victim, Foil Terrorist Attacks in Kaduna, Sokoto

August 22, 2026
FB IMG 1787350278462
Nigerian economyHot News

UBA Employs 374 Young Graduates, Boosts Economy by ₦149m Monthly

August 21, 2026
Screenshot 20260821 165510 1
Latest NewsNational

Okpebholo denies banning Davido from entering Edo

August 21, 2026
1779888342000 6
NationalNational Issues

Fake Agency: Tinubu Orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends 3 Permanent Secretaries

August 21, 2026
IMG 5618
KwaraNational

Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns from APC

August 21, 2026
Show More
  • More News:
  • Europe News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • 9News Nigeria - Nigeria Breaking News
  • Nigeria Politics
  • Sports
  • Imo state
  • Opinion
  • National Security
  • Events
  • Editorial
  • Inspiration
  • Trending news
  • Bible Messages
  • Religion
  • Jesus Christ the saviour
  • World News
  • The Love of God
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Business

9NEWS NIGERIA

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

NEWS CATEGORIES

  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • National Security

WORLD NEWS

  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics

ENTERTAINMENT AND LIFESTYLE

  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d