By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026
9News Nigeria
  • HOME
  • EDITORIAL
  • POLITICS
  • NATIONAL
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY POLICY
9News Nigeria9News Nigeria
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Editorial
    • OPINION
  • Politics
  • National
    • Breaking News
    • Boko Haram
    • Crime and Investigation
    • Ohanaeze Ndigbo
  • Business
    • Nigerian economy
    • Investment
    • Finance
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment and lifestyle
    • Hollywood
  • World
    • Africa
    • Asia News
    • Australia
    • Europe
  • About Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms And Conditions
    • Contact Us
Follow US
Crime and InvestigationReligion

Cardinal Pell, Pope’s top aide denies sexual abuse charge

Wisdom Nwedene
Last updated: July 26, 2017 5:53 am
By Wisdom Nwedene
Share
5 Min Read
Cardinal George Pell
SHARE

Cardinal George Pell, a top advisor to Pope Francis, has denied all charges of historical sexual abuse at his first appearance today in an Australian court.

The 76-year-old, the number-three figure in the Vatican as the finance chief, returned from Rome earlier this month to face the charges in Melbourne Magistrates Court.

Details of the charges have not been made public although police said they involved “multiple complainants”. The former Sydney and Melbourne archbishop has always maintained his innocence.

Looking sombre and frail, he attended the hearing with his lawyer, top criminal barrister Robert Richter, who told the court his client was not guilty — even though a formal plea was not required at this stage.
Cardinal George Pell, first left, arriving Melbourne court today
“For the avoidance of doubt and because of the interest, I might indicate that Cardinal Pell pleads not guilty to all charges and will maintain the presumed innocence that he has,” Richter told the court, national broadcaster ABC reported.

Pell, dressed in black and wearing his clerical collar, remained silent throughout with magistrate Duncan Reynolds ruling that evidence needs to be handed to his legal team by September 8, with the next court date set for October 6.

The cleric made no comment as he was escorted by a group of police through a crush of cameras, reporters and photographers into the court, which hears hundreds of cases a week for alleged crimes ranging from theft to murder.

Troops arrest suspected female gunrunner in Plateau
Nigerian Immigration arrests 55 illegal immigrants in Osun
Police arrest suspected mastermind of Mangu killing, hunt fleeing attackers
Kogi woman set ablaze by husband pleads for his forgiveness

Several photographers were knocked over in the melee.

Similar scenes greeted his departure after the brief hearing as he was ushered around 100 metres (yards) down the road to his lawyer’s offices surrounded by security, with a handful of supporters shouting “this is a show trial” and “innocent” as he walked past.

Protesters were also on hand, with one, Brian Cherrie, telling the Melbourne Herald Sun: “We need the truth.”

Pell was not required to attend the hearing, but Australia’s most powerful Catholic opted to appear, having previously vowed to defend himself and clear his name after a two-year investigation led to him being charged on June 29.

“I am innocent of these charges, they are false. The whole idea of sexual abuse is abhorrent to me,” he said in Rome last month, claiming he had been the victim of a campaign of “relentless character assassination”.

Australia’s Catholic leaders have spoken out in support, describing Pell as a “thoroughly decent man”.

The Archdiocese of Sydney is providing accommodation for him while he fights the charges, but it has said it will not foot his legal bills, which could run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Supporters have set up a fund to help him pay the costs, according to the Institute of Public Affairs, a high-profile conservative Australian think tank.

Despite being unofficially considered the third most powerful cleric in the Vatican, no special arrangements were in place at the court. Pell entered the building through the front door and was screened by security.

He has been granted a leave of absence by the Pope, who has made clear the cardinal would not be forced to resign his post as head of the Vatican’s powerful economic ministry.

But the scandal has rocked the church. He is the most senior Catholic cleric to be charged with criminal offences linked to its long-running sexual abuse scandal.

The allegations against Pell coincide with the final stages of Australia’s Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sex Abuse, ordered in 2012 after a decade of pressure to investigate widespread allegations of institutional paedophilia.

The commission has spoken to thousands of survivors and heard claims of child abuse involving churches, orphanages, sporting clubs, youth groups and schools.

Pell appeared before the commission three times, once in person and twice via video-link from Rome.

IMG 5118 e1501042555277

Like this:

Like Loading…
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Surprise0
Angry0
Previous Article U.S. fires warning shots at Iranian vessel U.S. ship fires warning shots at Iranian vessel
Next Article Ahmed Idris Federal, states, Local governments share N652b
Search
– Advertisement –
Latest News
  • Germany commits N16bn as Borno launches new N99bn UN peacebuilding fund for 2 years August 22, 2026
  • Borno shifts from aid to investment as Zulum pitches state as North-East economic hub August 22, 2026
  • 2027: My duty is to give opposition leaders high blood pressure – Wike August 22, 2026
  • 98 days later, Mussa parents march in Borno, demand rescue of 46 abducted schoolchildren August 22, 2026
  • Tinubu Orders Arrest of ‘Fake’ Agency Promoter as Website Reveals 26 Officials August 22, 2026
  • Atiku Unveils Fresh Fuel Subsidy Plan, Challenges Tinubu Over ₦30trn Federation Funds August 22, 2026
  • Tinubu Govt Drops Death Penalty Bid Against Nnamdi Kanu August 22, 2026
  • Tinubu Unveils APC 2027 Campaign Council, Picks Yari DG, Uzodimma Secretary August 22, 2026
  • Troops arrest suspected female gunrunner in Plateau August 22, 2026
  • UBA Name Correction Sparks Debate on Respect and Etiquette August 21, 2026
– Advertisement –
9News Nigeria
  • Editorial
  • OPINION
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
World News
  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Global Economy
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics
News Categories
  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • Sober House
  • National Security
Entertainment and Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships

You May also Like

1787090657249
Latest NewsCrime and Investigation

NDLEA nabs KC Luxury over alleged role in international cocaine network

August 18, 2026
1787058153456
Crime and InvestigationLatest News

Over 20 killed, scores injured as attackers invade Plateau community

August 18, 2026
IMG 20260817 WA09911
Hot NewsCrime and Investigation

Owerri Shop Robbery: CCTV Captures Suspects

August 18, 2026
Screenshot 20260817 192415 1
Latest NewsCrime and Investigation

Kogi police arrest pastor for allegedly setting wife ablaze during domestic dispute

August 17, 2026
1786914597012
Latest NewsCrime and Investigation

25-Year-Old ISWAP Fighter Surrenders to Nigerian Troops in Borno

August 16, 2026
Screenshot 20260816 191552 1
Latest NewsCrime and Investigation

NDLEA Nabs India-Bound Businessman With 1.55kg Cocaine At Lagos Airport

August 16, 2026
Show More
  • More News:
  • Europe News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • 9News Nigeria - Nigeria Breaking News
  • Nigeria Politics
  • Sports
  • Imo state
  • Opinion
  • National Security
  • Events
  • Editorial
  • Inspiration
  • Trending news
  • Bible Messages
  • Religion
  • Jesus Christ the saviour
  • World News
  • The Love of God
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Business

9NEWS NIGERIA

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

NEWS CATEGORIES

  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • National Security

WORLD NEWS

  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics

ENTERTAINMENT AND LIFESTYLE

  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d