By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026
9News Nigeria
  • HOME
  • EDITORIAL
  • POLITICS
  • NATIONAL
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY POLICY
9News Nigeria9News Nigeria
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Editorial
    • OPINION
  • Politics
  • National
    • Breaking News
    • Boko Haram
    • Crime and Investigation
    • Ohanaeze Ndigbo
  • Business
    • Nigerian economy
    • Investment
    • Finance
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment and lifestyle
    • Hollywood
  • World
    • Africa
    • Asia News
    • Australia
    • Europe
  • About Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms And Conditions
    • Contact Us
Follow US
Boko HaramHot News

Chibok girls freedom: Our role by Red Cross

Chigozie Ekwenye
Last updated: May 7, 2017 6:56 pm
By Chigozie Ekwenye
Share
3 Min Read
chibok girls
SHARE

International Committee of the Red Cross (@ICRC) in Africa has explained its role in the freedom of 82 Chibok schoolgirls abducted by Boko Haram militants since 14 April, 2014.

The agency said on its Twitter page that it only acted as an intermediary between Boko Haram and the Nigerian government. And then also its vehicles were used to transport the freed girls to Nigerian officials at Banki, in Borno state.

The Red Cross vehicles that brought Chibok girls to Banki e1494163878213
The Red Cross vehicles that brought the girls to Banki, where the Nigerian officials were stationed

Patrick Youssef who tweeted the agency’s position said: “With the agreement of all the parties involved, we @ICRC acted as a neutral intermediary to facilitate their transport back

“Many families have lost contact because of the conflict and the #LakeChadCrisis. We’re so relieved in this case that families can be reunited”.

ICRC had played a similar role last year October, when Nigeria got the first batch of 21 Chibok girls released.

Nigeria announced Saturday night that it did a prisoner swap with Boko Haram to get the fresh batch of 82 girls freed by their captors.

UBA Employs 374 Young Graduates, Boosts Economy by ₦149m Monthly
Owerri Shop Robbery: CCTV Captures Suspects
FUTO VC Visits Umuoma Nekede, Calls for Unity Against Threats
Nworie Bridge: Nekede Old Road Becomes Death Trap

Said Garba Shehu, a senior special assistant to the president: ”President Buhari is pleased to announce that negotiations to release more of the Chibok Girls have borne fruit with the release of 82 more girls today after months of patient negotiations.

“Our security agencies have taken back these abducted girls in exchange for some Boko Haram suspects held by the authorities.

”The girls are due tomorrow in Abuja to be received by the President. The president expressed his deep gratitude to security agencies, the military, the government of Switzerland, the Red Cross, local and international NGOs for the success of the operation.

“It may be recalled when the first batch of 21 girls were released in October 2016, the president directed the security agencies to continue in earnest until all the Chibok girls have been released and reunited with their families.

”The president has been receiving full reports from the Director-General of the Department of State Services at each stage of the operation.”

The girls have been ferried to Abuja and are now awaiting a formal reception by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Source – NAN

Like this:

Like Loading…
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Surprise0
Angry0
Previous Article Chibok girls Breaking: 82 Chibok girls’ release
Next Article Obanikoro Slams N100m Suit On EFCC Over Rights Violations Obanikoro set to join APC
Search
– Advertisement –
Latest News
  • I won’t risk losing Rivers, FCT for APC Campaign DG job – Wike August 22, 2026
  • I will not take Salary or Allowance — Minister’s Son Osborn Umahi Wins Council Election August 22, 2026
  • Gunmen Attack Rivers Monarch, Allege Assassination Attempt on Amadabo of Finima August 22, 2026
  • Troops rescue Victim, Foil Terrorist Attacks in Kaduna, Sokoto August 22, 2026
  • Germany commits N16bn as Borno launches new N99bn UN peacebuilding fund for 2 years August 22, 2026
  • Borno shifts from aid to investment as Zulum pitches state as North-East economic hub August 22, 2026
  • 2027: My duty is to give opposition leaders high blood pressure – Wike August 22, 2026
  • 98 days later, Mussa parents march in Borno, demand rescue of 46 abducted schoolchildren August 22, 2026
  • Tinubu Orders Arrest of ‘Fake’ Agency Promoter as Website Reveals 26 Officials August 22, 2026
  • Atiku Unveils Fresh Fuel Subsidy Plan, Challenges Tinubu Over ₦30trn Federation Funds August 22, 2026
– Advertisement –
9News Nigeria
  • Editorial
  • OPINION
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
World News
  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Global Economy
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics
News Categories
  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • Sober House
  • National Security
Entertainment and Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships

You May also Like

FB IMG 1786451655532
Hot News

Nkwerre Ohaeshi Honours Anyaehie, Nwaneri, Iwuanyanwu, Others

August 11, 2026
Screenshot 20260704 210416
EditorialHot News

CHILD PROTECTION UNDER PRESSURE

August 8, 2026
Zenith Bank
Breaking NewsBusiness

Zenith Bank confirms customer data breach, says financial information remains secure

August 6, 2026
Allegations trail Akpabio’s wife over reported unholy access to Senate chamber
Trending NewsHot News

Allegations trail Akpabio’s wife over reported unholy access to Senate chamber

August 4, 2026
IMG 20260802 WA0004
Breaking NewsHot News

‘Tinubu’s Reforms Are Medicine, Not Magic,’ Says Ex-Abia Speaker Chinedum Orji

August 3, 2026
Catholic Bishops Meeting with Nigerian Presidnet Bola Ahmed Tinubu
Latest NewsHot News

Inside Tinubu’s Meeting With Catholic Bishops and Pope’s Invite

July 29, 2026
Show More
  • More News:
  • Europe News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • 9News Nigeria - Nigeria Breaking News
  • Nigeria Politics
  • Sports
  • Imo state
  • Opinion
  • National Security
  • Events
  • Editorial
  • Inspiration
  • Trending news
  • Bible Messages
  • Religion
  • Jesus Christ the saviour
  • World News
  • The Love of God
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Business

9NEWS NIGERIA

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

NEWS CATEGORIES

  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • National Security

WORLD NEWS

  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics

ENTERTAINMENT AND LIFESTYLE

  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d