Governor David Nweze Umahi of Ebonyi State, on Sunday, ordered immediate distribution of palliative food items which include, Rice, Tomatoes, noodles, etc in order to cushion the effect of the deadly Coronavirus in the State.
Umahi who recently banned Motorcycles in the State urged Ebonyians to exercise patience as the ban was one of the preventive measures adopted to ensure that the deadly Coronavirus does not spread to Ebonyi State and assured that as soon as the battle against COVID-19 is won, motorcycles will be back.
Umahi made this known in a statement made available to 9News Nigeria on Sunday by his Special Assistant on Media, Francis Nwaze.
Governor Umahi noted that he values the life of every Ebonyian and will not risk it for an illegal boundary business transaction of the motorcyclists who forget the dangers of a single COVID-19 carrier if smuggled into Ebonyi state.
He also said that other means of transportation including Tricycles, Taxi, and buses running within the state are still available so long as they obey the preventive guidelines.
The statement reads in full below ;
My attention has been drawn to negative expressions from a few uninformed social media users trailing yesterday’s directive of the Governor of Ebonyi State, Engr. David Nweze Umahi, FNSE, FNATE for an immediate ban of Motorcycles (Okada) movement in the entire Ebonyi state following several reports from concerned Ebonyians across the boundaries where Okada riders were fingered to have introduced new business of smuggling foreigners into the state and make bold to state the following.
- That the Governor values the life of every Ebonyian and will not risk it for an illegal boundary business transaction of the motorcyclists who forget the dangers of a single COVID-19 carrier if smuggled into Ebonyi state.
- That all the preventive directives made to curb entrance/spread of COVID-19 in Ebonyi State are strictly for the time being and will wane when we are able to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the State.
- That Okada business is a dangerous means of transportation at this time as the gap between the rider and the passenger is too close that the spread is not manageable.
- That the Governor has also directed immediate distribution of palliative food items which include, Rice, Tomatoes, noodles, etc which have been purchased with the state palliative approval to enable everyone to get food while staying without active activities. The target on this is to ensure that not less than 400,000 families get the palliative in the state and the sharing is beyond party and relationship. The palliative is for Ebonyians to stay alive at this trying time and not even an enemy of the governor is exempted.
- That other means of transportation including Tricycles, Taxi, and buses running within the state are still available so long as they obey the preventive guidelines.
- That the Governor has also directed the distribution of other COVID-19 preventive kits which include 200,000 face masks and hand sanitizers as the state government makes plan to procure more 600,000 face masks for this purpose.
- It should be noted that unlike other states in Nigeria, the governor has not directed the total lockdown of activities in the state because he knows and understands the implications and is being strategic as each state is treated based on its merits and demerits.
Ebonyians must understand that the Governor cares about them and we must stay alive first.