BY Mazi Omife I Omife MON (Mbuze Mbaukwu)
ENUGU TERRORISM WAHALA: APC BE CAREFUL
BY Mazi Omife I Omife MON (Mbuze Mbaukwu)
Two weeks ago or thereabout, the former Labour party senatorial candidate for Enugu East Senatorial zone, Barrister Oyibo Chuwku was murdered.
Barely one week later, another person was reportedly murdered and burnt alive at Abakpa Nike T-Junction.
Not too long ago before this incident, a former Commissioner for Rural Development in Enugu State, Gab Onuzulike was killed alongside his elder brother, Elvis at Nkpokolo Achi.
These recent events have recreated a fresh wave of fear and anxiety among the people and residents of Enugu State who have become highly apprehensive of inter community travels as well as going to the farms this planting season out of fear of renewed terrorism.
Despite all these killings, killings and killings, there is reason for joy and optimism for the people of Enugu State.
This is because of the bold moves by the APC governorship of Enugu State, Barrister Uche Nnaji.
His plan to combat the new wave of terrorism in the State is indeed heart-warming and reassuring.
Why?, one may ask.
Because it is the first research-based security plan in Enugu State planned to cover all the 17 local government areas in the State to tackle indiscriminate killings, kidnapping and other security challenges.
According to reliable information, the security plan is one of the immediate policy actions of APC Enugu State if voted into power in the coming elections.
I had the opportunity to go through the research document which I found very exciting and highly innovative and I have been wondering why the APC in Enugu has not made it public to allay people’s security apprehension.
The APC security project which is adjudged as the most revolutionary security measure ever conceived or executed in any State of Nigeria.
There could not have been a better or more ingenious way to respond to the security challenge posed by the peculiar ecological character of Enugu State with vast forest areas in virtually all parts of the State.
The APC security research document showed that Enugu State with 17 local government areas has more forest land mass than a State like Anambra with 21 local government areas and with most of the towns nearly completely built-up with little or no forest gaps between communities.
This is the direct opposite in Enugu State where the research showed that most communities are separated from one another by vast stretch of forests which provide home to terrorist kidnappers.
According to the research document, the Enugu Sate special security-watch target areas are:
• Ugbawka–Nara – Amurri, Nkerefi to Ebonyi boundary;
• Akpugo – Amagunze – Ihuokparato Ezza in Ebonyi State;
• Ozalla – Udi with a 6 kilo stretch of forest and one of the most dangerous roads in Enugu State;
• Ugwogo – NekeAguMbu– NekeUno (both same of same mother) – Amonuezekeyi -Opi-Agu.
• Uzo-Uwani- Ogurugu-boundary with OdoluIgalamiwaLGA inkogi state, a vast remote forest area withdifficult terrain;
• Umulokpa – Umumbo – Umuelum – Anaku –Ifite-Ogwar – Igbakwu in Anambra State;
• Obollo – Ubokolo in Benue State; Enugu Ezike – Etteh, partly Enugu State, partly Kogi State;
• Adani -Omor, the operational area of the notorious armed robbery kinpin in the mould of Lawrence Anini and Monday Osunbor, alias “Ngwuekeluomu”, from where he tried to escape during a police manhunt for him after his bank robbery at Nsukka before he was shot and wounded by police fire and later died.
Olo – Umulokpa with a long stretch of ikpaforest area
NINTH MILE AXIS
• 9th mile – ObunofiaNdiuno – ObunofiaNdiagu which is a terror to motorists;
• 9th mile – Abor – Ukana –Awhum- Okpatu – Umulumgbe – Ekwegbe – Opi;
• 9th mile – Eke – Egede – Affa– Akpakwume – Nze
• 9th mile – Nsukka express
OJI- RIVER AXIS
• Inyi– Awlor –Akpugoeze – Ugwuoba, developed but bushy areas.
• Between Inyi and Umunze is a quasi-canal in a very lonely and bushy section of the road.
The prevalence of these forests in Enugu State has necessitated extra security strategy as reflected in the APC security project which is projected to ensure total eradication of terrorism in Enugu State.
The APC Enugu State project is certainly a huge and challenging ambition that deserves commendation and appreciation from the people of Enugu State.
But more importantly, it is a project that calls for utmost care and caution in implementation, with no room for failure, bearing in mind that these terrorists may have sponsors within the State, which may be the curious reason why none of the other parties have not said anything about the disturbing security situation in recent times.
Therefore APC Enugu State must be careful.
Omife I. Omife MON