Family Of Murdered Italian Student In Cairo Seek Justice

Follow us on Social Media

Social sharing
115751306 gettyimages 639899148

A second trial of four Egyptian security officers accused of kidnapping and brutally murdering an Italian student, Giulio Regeni, in 2016 opened in Rome on Tuesday with his parents vowing to uncover the truth.

On the new trial’s opening day on Tuesday, Regeni’s parents, Claudio and Paola, and his sister Irene unfurled a large yellow banner bearing the words “Truth for Giulio Regeni”, before entering the court.

After a heraing that lasted one-and-a-half hours, the family’s lawyer, Alessandra Ballerini, said her clients looked forward to “finally (having) a trial against those who did all the evil in the world to Giulio.”

giulio regeni 1 6775705 1708435793952

Regeni’s parents, Claudio and Paola, and his sister Irene

“We have been waiting eight years for this moment,” Ballerini told journalists outside the courtroom.

None of the four defendants, General Tariq Sabir, Colonels Athar Kamel and Uhsam Helmi, and Major Magdi Ibrahim Abdelal Sharif, were present in court.

Giulio Regeni, had been conducting academic research when he was abducted in January 2016, as his body was found nine days later, dumped on the outskirts of the Egyptian capital, bearing extensive signs of torture.

The murder severely strained ties between Italy and Egypt, while Italian MPs later accused Cairo of being “openly hostile” to attempts to try the suspects.

READ ALSO  VIDEO: Another suspected 'Bobrisky twin sister' nabbed by the Police (WATCH)

In 2021, Italian judges threw out the first trial the day it opened because prosecutors had not been able to officially inform the four suspects of the procedures against them.

Meanwhile, the Constitutional Court ruled in September that the case could go ahead in their absence.

Leave your comment on this post

THE ROTTEN FISH: CAN OF WORMS OPENED OF APC & TINUBU'S GOVERNMENT OVER NIGERIA'S ECONOMIC DOWNTURN

WATCH THE CRITICAL ANALYSIS AND KNOW THE RESPONSIBLE PARTIES TO BLAME FOR NIGERIA'S ECONOMIC CHALLENGES, WHILE CITIZENS ENDURE SEVERE HARDSHIPS.

Watch this episode of ISSUES IN THE NEWS on 9News Nigeria featuring Peter Obi's Special Adviser, Dr Katch Ononuju, 9News Nigeria Publisher, Obinna Ejianya and Tinubu Support Group Leader, McHezekiah Eherechi

The economic crisis and hardship in Nigeria are parts of the discussion.


Watch, leave your comments, and share to create more awareness on this issue.


#9NewsNigeria #Nigeria #issuesInTheNews #politics #tinubu THE ROTTEN FISH: CAN OF WORMS OPENED ...
DON'T FORGET TO SUBSCRIBE AND LEAVE YOUR COMMENTS FOR SUBSEQUENT UPDATES
#9newsnigeria #economia #economy #nigeria #government @9newsng
www.9newsng.com

Leave your comment

Click on the link below or Scan the QR Code to join the 9News Nigeria WhatsApp Channel

9News Nigeria Investigative Reports WhatsApp Channel
9News Nigeria Investigative Reports WhatsApp Channel