Borno State Governor, Babagana Umara Zulum is saddened by the killing of 11 security personnel made up of eight policemen and three civilian JTF members ambushed on their way to Baga as security backup in reconstruction efforts.
The Governor was in Baga on a two days visit to haseten efforts and strategies already in place to return residents to their homes in order to cut the boko haram’s long use of the commercial town which is considered a strategic operation zone of the Boko Haram insurgent.
Zulum through his spokesman, malam Isa Gusau, in a statement issued on Saturday, said; “Convoys- one belonging to the governor and another to a committee on Baga reconstruction had safely plied the Maiduguri-Baga route previous days before the third convoy of security men was hi ambushed on Friday morning even after precautionary steps had been taken to ensure safe trips.
“Governor Zulum is saddened by this unfortunate carnage. He shares the grief of families of these 11 priceless heroes to whom Borno shall remain grateful.
“Zulum is of the opinion that we must continue to keep hope alive even in the face of tribulations and believe that with sustained efforts and prayers, Borno will eventually regain peace.
“The situation facing us is a tough one but we must choose between doing something which gives us some hope and doing nothing which will leave us more vulnerable to Boko Haram’s ultimate wish to takeover Borno and bring it under their sovereign brutal administration” the statement said.
It is in record that Baga town was displaced by the Boko Haram insurgents 21 months ago, with most of the residents taking refuge in Monguno and Maiduguri.
Zulum had on August 31, 2020 inaugurated a resetlement committee, which was mandated to commence immediate reconstruction and rehabilitation work in Baga.