Breaking News

JUST IN:Nigerian govt releases N86.7bn to 275,172 sacked workers

Airtel Nigeria Call services
Social sharing

The National Pension Commission (PenCom) said it had released N86.7 billion to sacked workers of various companies who had been into Contributory Pension Scheme (CPS).

PenCom Acting Director-General, Mrs Aisha Dahir-Umar, who disclosed this on Monday in Lagos, said the amount was for the settlement of 275,172 disengaged workers.

She said the figure represented the total paid from 2004, when the CPS came into effect, to June 2018.

Dahir-Umar also said the amount was about one per cent of the N8.23 trillion pension assets.

She said: “The lean prospect of finding a new job after the loss of an earlier job was responsible for increase in demand to access 25 per cent of pension contributions.

“The PRA 2014 allows contributors, under the age of 50 years, who were disengaged from work and were unable to secure another job within four months of disengagement, to access 25 per cent of their respective Retirement Savings Accounts (RSAs)

“The commission also recently reduced the assessment time after disengagement to four months from six months,” Dahir-Umar said.
The Acting Director-General said in the second quarter of 2018 about 12,854 workers were disengaged.

She, however, said the disengaged workers have been able to access N5.6 billion from the pension assets within the timeframe.

UBA Bank

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*

%d bloggers like this: