By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Friday, Aug 21, 2026
9News Nigeria
  • HOME
  • EDITORIAL
  • POLITICS
  • NATIONAL
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY POLICY
9News Nigeria9News Nigeria
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Editorial
    • OPINION
  • Politics
  • National
    • Breaking News
    • Boko Haram
    • Crime and Investigation
    • Ohanaeze Ndigbo
  • Business
    • Nigerian economy
    • Investment
    • Finance
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment and lifestyle
    • Hollywood
  • World
    • Africa
    • Asia News
    • Australia
    • Europe
  • About Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms And Conditions
    • Contact Us
Follow US
Asia NewsBreaking NewsPhillipinesTrending News

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte Swears Again Calls U.S. ‘monkeys’ for halting gun sale

9News Nigeria
Last updated: November 3, 2016 8:18 am
By 9News Nigeria
Share
5 Min Read
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte
SHARE

MANILA, Nov 2 (Reuters) – Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte chided the United States on Wednesday for halting the planned sale of 26,000 rifles to his country, calling those behind the decision “fools” and “monkeys” and indicating he might turn to Russia and China instead.

Duterte’s tirades against the former colonial power are routine during his speeches and he said on Wednesday he once believed in Washington, but had since lost respect for what is the Philippines’ biggest ally.

The U.S. State Department halted the sale of the assault rifles to the Philippine police after staff from U.S. Senator Ben Cardin’s office said he would oppose it, Senate aides told Reuters on Monday.

Aides said Cardin, the top Democrat on the U.S. Senate Foreign Relations Committee, was reluctant for the United States to provide the weapons given concern about human rights violations in the Philippines during Duterte’s bloody, four-month-old war on drugs.

“Look at these monkeys, the 26,000 firearms we wanted to buy, they don’t want to sell,” Duterte said during a televised speech.

“Son of a bitch, we have many home-made guns here. These American fools.”

FBI Warns Release of Tinubu’s Drugs Deals Records Could Put Lives at Risk
Chinese billionaire Xu Jiayin Sentenced to Life in Prison
US Court Sets August 21 Deadline for Release of Tinubu-Linked Investigation Records
NLC Demands ₦500,000 Minimum Wage, Says ₦70,000 No Longer Enough

More than 2,300 people have been killed in police operations or by suspected vigilantes as part of Duterte’s anti-narcotics effort, which was the lynchpin of his election campaign.

Duterte has vented his anger at the United States for raising concerns about the extra-judicial killings.

“That’s why I was rude at them, because they were rude at me,” he said.

According to procedures in Washington, the State Department informs Congress when international weapons sales are in the works. Aides said the State Department had been informed Cardin would oppose the deal during the prenotification process, thus effectively halting the sale.

“Committee staff told State that Cardin would block it if it was sent forward. They haven’t sent it. Does that mean it has been stopped? I guess that depends on your definition. It would be highly unusual for State to move it forward with explicit opposition,” a Senate aide said on Wednesday.

COMMITTED TO PHILIPPINES ALLIANCE

On Tuesday, State Department spokesman John Kirby said he was barred from commenting on the status of the sale, while stressing the U.S. commitment to the important U.S.-Philippines alliance.

“The department is restricted under federal regulations from commenting on the status of commercial export license approvals of proposed commercial defense sales,” Kirby said at a daily news briefing.

“So we’re going to stay also committed to working closely with members of Congress to deliver security assistance to our allies and partners worldwide, including the Philippines,” he said.

The Philippine police chief, Ronald dela Rosa, who has expressed disappointment that police might not get the M4 rifles, held a news conference where he showed a letter from the supplier, SIG Sauer, saying it had been advised by State that the application for the export license was proceeding normally.

If it does not go ahead, dela Rosa said, “We have many options and it’s their loss, not ours, if the report is true.”

Duterte reiterated that Russia and China had shown willingness to sell arms to the Philippines, but he would wait to see if his military wanted to continue using U.S. weapons.

“Russia, they are inviting us. China also. China is open, anything you want, they sent me brochure saying we select there, we’ll give you.

“But I am holding off because I was asking the military if they have any problem. Because if you have, if you want to stick to America, fine.

“But, look closely and balance the situation, they are rude to us.” (Reporting by Manuel Mogato in Manila; additional reporting by Patricia Zengerle in Washington; Writing by Martin Petty; Editing by Robert Birsel and Andrew Hay)

Like this:

Like Loading…
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Surprise0
Angry0
By9News Nigeria
Follow:
9News Nigeria is Nigeria's favourite news source. For Authentic, Unbiased News on Politics, Business, Sports, Technology, Entertainment and Lifestyles, Health, Nollywood, Crime and Investigations, Family and Relationships, Inspirations .. and much more. For Latest News from Africa and around the world, 9News Nigeria is your best source. WhatsApp +2348115805632 Email: [email protected] Facebook: www.facebook.com/9NewsNG | Twitter/Instagram: @9newsng
Previous Article Thai model causes 9 car pile up accident Thai model causes 9-car pile up, accident
Next Article Amazon to launch in Singapore 1Q2017 report Amazon to launch in Singapore 1Q2017: report
Search
– Advertisement –
Latest News
  • FBI Warns Release of Tinubu’s Drugs Deals Records Could Put Lives at Risk August 21, 2026
  • Nigeria Would Have Been Overrun by ISIS, Bandits if Not Tinubu’s Security Measures – Bwala August 21, 2026
  • FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid August 21, 2026
  • BUK final-year student remanded over alleged EFCC assault, N20m extortion post August 21, 2026
  • Okorocha Sues INEC over Uzodinma’s Candidacy August 21, 2026
  • Chinese billionaire Xu Jiayin Sentenced to Life in Prison August 21, 2026
  • You did not Conquer Anybody, You won an Election — Tinubu Tells Adeleke August 21, 2026
  • Aiyedatiwa Appoints Commissioner, Advisers, 1,000 Political Aides August 21, 2026
  • Adeleke Presents Certificate of Return to Wike August 21, 2026
  • Tinubu meets re-elected Adeleke behind closed doors at Aso Rock August 20, 2026
– Advertisement –
9News Nigeria
  • Editorial
  • OPINION
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
World News
  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Global Economy
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics
News Categories
  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • Sober House
  • National Security
Entertainment and Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships

You May also Like

US President, Donald Trump
Breaking NewsUSA

U.S Birth Citizenship: Trump moves to stop Birth Tourism

August 7, 2026
Zenith Bank
Breaking NewsBusiness

Zenith Bank confirms customer data breach, says financial information remains secure

August 6, 2026
Allegations trail Akpabio’s wife over reported unholy access to Senate chamber
Trending NewsHot News

Allegations trail Akpabio’s wife over reported unholy access to Senate chamber

August 4, 2026
IMG 20260803 WA0016
Breaking NewsNational

Ex-Abia Speaker Orji Says Tinubu’s Fiscal Reforms Are Redefining Nigeria’s Revenue Base

August 4, 2026
IMG 20260802 WA0004
Breaking NewsHot News

‘Tinubu’s Reforms Are Medicine, Not Magic,’ Says Ex-Abia Speaker Chinedum Orji

August 3, 2026
HOoIV8kWAAA3mar 1
Trending News

Abia Moves to Host Permanent Air Force Base After Complex Launch

August 2, 2026
Show More
  • More News:
  • Europe News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • 9News Nigeria - Nigeria Breaking News
  • Nigeria Politics
  • Sports
  • Imo state
  • Opinion
  • National Security
  • Events
  • Editorial
  • Inspiration
  • Trending news
  • Bible Messages
  • Religion
  • Jesus Christ the saviour
  • World News
  • The Love of God
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Business

9NEWS NIGERIA

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

NEWS CATEGORIES

  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • National Security

WORLD NEWS

  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics

ENTERTAINMENT AND LIFESTYLE

  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d