By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026
9News Nigeria
  • HOME
  • EDITORIAL
  • POLITICS
  • NATIONAL
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY POLICY
9News Nigeria9News Nigeria
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Editorial
    • OPINION
  • Politics
  • National
    • Breaking News
    • Boko Haram
    • Crime and Investigation
    • Ohanaeze Ndigbo
  • Business
    • Nigerian economy
    • Investment
    • Finance
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment and lifestyle
    • Hollywood
  • World
    • Africa
    • Asia News
    • Australia
    • Europe
  • About Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms And Conditions
    • Contact Us
Follow US
Breaking NewsHot NewsUSA

USA apologises for Swimmers’ untrue story of being robbed in Brazil

9News Nigeria
Last updated: August 19, 2016 8:38 am
By 9News Nigeria
Share
8 Min Read
American swimmers lied about robbery
SHARE

The United States Olympic Committee has apologised for what it called the unacceptable behaviour of four US swimmers who falsely said they had been robbed at gunpoint in Rio.

Contents
Four views of Ryan LochteHow the story evolvedWho are the swimmers?

Police questioned three of the gold medal winners and say “they were not victims of the crimes they claimed”.

Two of the four – Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger – were allowed to fly out of Rio on Thursday evening.

Ryan Lochte had already left, and James Feigen remains in Brazil.

Mr Bentz and Mr Conger had been taken off a plane at Rio airport on Wednesday and taken for questioning.

Mr Lochte had initially said the four were robbed at gunpoint when they were returning by taxi from a club.

UBA Employs 374 Young Graduates, Boosts Economy by ₦149m Monthly
FBI Warns Release of Tinubu’s Drugs Deals Records Could Put Lives at Risk
Owerri Shop Robbery: CCTV Captures Suspects
FUTO VC Visits Umuoma Nekede, Calls for Unity Against Threats

But Rio’s civil police head Fernando Veloso said the four Olympic gold medallists had not been robbed.

“No robbery was committed against these athletes. They were not victims of the crimes they claimed,” he said.

He told reporters that one or more of the athletes had instead vandalised a toilet in a petrol station and then offered to pay for the damage.

The Americans paid and left after armed security guards intervened, he said.

One guard had justifiably drawn his gun after one of the swimmers began behaving erratically, Mr Veloso added.

He warned that the swimmers, who had repeatedly changed their accounts of what happened, could “in theory” face charges of giving false testimony and vandalism.

But later on Thursday, the men’s lawyer Sergio Riera said Mr Bentz and Mr Conger had been allowed to leave the country by a special Olympic court.

“They are on their way to the airport,” Mr Riera said.

However, Mr Feigen remains in Brazil.

He “provided a revised statement this evening (Thursday) with the hope of securing the release of his passport as soon as possible,” said the US Olympic Committee (USOC).

The USOC statement confirmed the version of events given by Mr Veloso, and added that “the behaviour of these athletes is not acceptable, nor does it represent the values of Team USA”.


Four views of Ryan Lochte

Slate:

“Maybe he’s just a lunk, or a doofus, or a Faulknerian idiot man-child, or the real-world analogue of Moose from Archie. There are all sorts of unflattering descriptors that might apply to Ryan Lochte.”

Washington Post:

“There is a special category of obnoxious American ‘bro’ that Lochte represents, in his T-shirt and jeans and expensive suede footwear, which he showed off on Instagram that night at the party along with the price tag. ‘We’re 6k deep here,’ he captioned it. Is there anything worse, in any country, than a bunch of entitled young drunks who break the furniture and pee on a wall?”

San Francisco Chronicle:

“It doesn’t matter what else Lochte has done in his Olympic career. This cemented his legacy: most embarrassing Olympic athlete.”

New York Post:

“He cried wolf and was called on it, and that will be his burden to bear for a good long while – but not his alone. The Ugly American is alive and well in 2016 thanks to this dope.”

Earlier, a Rio 2016 spokesman had tried to make light of the case.

“These kids tried to have fun, they tried to represent their country to the best of their abilities,” Mario Andrada told reporters.

“They competed under gigantic pressure. Let’s give these kids a break. Sometime you take actions that you later regret.

“They had fun, they made a mistake, life goes on.”

How the story evolved

Sunday 14 August

  • Ryan Lochte’s mother tells US media her son has been robbed in Rio de Janeiro
  • Mr Lochte gives an account of the events, saying he, Gunnar Bentz, Jack Conger and James Feigen were returning by taxi from a club in the early hours of the morning when they were robbed at gunpoint by men who forced the vehicle to pull over
  • The swimmers do not report the incident to police or to the US Olympic Committee, and police officers only get involved after seeing TV reports

Monday 15 August

  • Police investigating the case say there are inconsistencies in the men’s accounts

Tuesday 16 August

  • CCTV footage emerges of the men’s return to the athletes’ village showing them laughing and joking, and handing over wallets and phones as they go through the security screens

Wednesday 17 August

  • Ryan Lochte admits there were inaccuracies in his original account of being robbed at gunpoint, but vehemently denies making the story up
  • Judge orders that the passports of the four men be seized before it emerges that Mr Lochte has already left for the US
  • Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger taken off a US-bound plane at Rio de Janeiro airport

Thursday 18 August

  • Brazilian police sources tell media outlets that the men invented a story about a robbery to disguise a dispute over a damaged bathroom door at a petrol station in Barra da Tijuca, 16km (10 miles) from the Olympic Park
  • CCTV video emerges that appears to show the athletes being detained and ordered to sit on the ground
  • Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger enter a Rio police station for questioning
  • Head of Rio’s civil police emphatically denies a robbery took place, saying the case centred around an incident of vandalism and payment for damage
  • Gunnar Bentz and Jack Conger fly out of Rio, with James Feigen unable to travel as his passport is still held by the Brazilian authorities

Who are the swimmers?

Ryan Lochte attends a press conference in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Photo: August 2016Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES
Image captionRyan Lochte: 12 Olympic medals
James Feigen pictured in 2013Image copyrightREUTERS
Image captionJames Feigen won gold in the 4x100m freestyle relay

Lochte is one of the most successful swimmers in history, with 12 Olympic medals, and he once had his own reality television show in the US. In Rio, he swam in two events, winning gold in the 4x200m freestyle relay along with Conger.

Feigen won gold in the 4x100m freestyle relay.

Bentz competed in the 4x200m preliminaries, but not the final. He still received a gold medal after the US team’s win.

Like this:

Like Loading…
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Surprise0
Angry0
By9News Nigeria
Follow:
9News Nigeria is Nigeria's favourite news source. For Authentic, Unbiased News on Politics, Business, Sports, Technology, Entertainment and Lifestyles, Health, Nollywood, Crime and Investigations, Family and Relationships, Inspirations .. and much more. For Latest News from Africa and around the world, 9News Nigeria is your best source. WhatsApp +2348115805632 Email: [email protected] Facebook: www.facebook.com/9NewsNG | Twitter/Instagram: @9newsng
Previous Article Usain Bolt cements his greatness Usain Bolt cements his greatnes: wins 200m gold, his 8th Olympic gold
Next Article South Sudan Opposition leader South Sudan opposition leader Machar seeks safety in neighbouring DRC
Search
– Advertisement –
Latest News
  • Troops arrest suspected female gunrunner in Plateau August 22, 2026
  • UBA Name Correction Sparks Debate on Respect and Etiquette August 21, 2026
  • UBA Employs 374 Young Graduates, Boosts Economy by ₦149m Monthly August 21, 2026
  • Imo Records First Robotic Surgery, Makes Healthcare History August 21, 2026
  • Okpebholo denies banning Davido from entering Edo August 21, 2026
  • Nigerian Immigration arrests 55 illegal immigrants in Osun August 21, 2026
  • Fake Agency: Tinubu Orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends 3 Permanent Secretaries August 21, 2026
  • Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns from APC August 21, 2026
  • Nigeria Needs $23bn to Fix Power Crisis Nationwide, REA MD Discloses August 21, 2026
  • Gov. Okpebholo’s aide bans Davido from performing in Edo August 21, 2026
– Advertisement –
9News Nigeria
  • Editorial
  • OPINION
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
World News
  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Global Economy
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics
News Categories
  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • Sober House
  • National Security
Entertainment and Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships

You May also Like

IMG 20260811 WA01663
Hot News

Nworie Bridge: Nekede Old Road Becomes Death Trap

August 11, 2026
FB IMG 1786451655532
Hot News

Nkwerre Ohaeshi Honours Anyaehie, Nwaneri, Iwuanyanwu, Others

August 11, 2026
Screenshot 20260704 210416
EditorialHot News

CHILD PROTECTION UNDER PRESSURE

August 8, 2026
1786112117505 1
Breaking News

NLC Demands ₦500,000 Minimum Wage, Says ₦70,000 No Longer Enough

August 7, 2026
US President, Donald Trump
Breaking NewsUSA

U.S Birth Citizenship: Trump moves to stop Birth Tourism

August 7, 2026
Zenith Bank
Breaking NewsBusiness

Zenith Bank confirms customer data breach, says financial information remains secure

August 6, 2026
Show More
  • More News:
  • Europe News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • 9News Nigeria - Nigeria Breaking News
  • Nigeria Politics
  • Sports
  • Imo state
  • Opinion
  • National Security
  • Events
  • Editorial
  • Inspiration
  • Trending news
  • Bible Messages
  • Religion
  • Jesus Christ the saviour
  • World News
  • The Love of God
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Business

9NEWS NIGERIA

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

NEWS CATEGORIES

  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • National Security

WORLD NEWS

  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics

ENTERTAINMENT AND LIFESTYLE

  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d