Woman injured after her headphone batteries exploded on flight to Australia

Airtel Nigeria Call services
Social sharing

SYDNEY: A woman suffered burns to her face and hands after her headphones caught fire during a flight to Australia, officials said on Wednesday as they warned about the dangers of battery-operated devices on planes.

The passenger was listening to music on her own battery-operated headphones as she dozed on the flight from Beijing to Melbourne on February 19 when there was a loud explosion.

“As I went to turn around I felt burning on my face,” she told the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) which investigated the incident.

“I just grabbed my face which caused the headphones to go around my neck. I continued to feel burning so I grabbed them off and threw them on the floor.

“They were sparking and had small amounts of fire.”

Flight attendants rushed to help and poured a bucket of water on the headphones, but the battery and its cover were both melted and stuck to the floor.

Pictures show the woman, who was not named, with a blackened face and neck and blisters on her hands, with passengers having to endure the smell of melted plastic, burnt electronics and burnt hair for the remainder of the flight.

“People were coughing and choking the entire way home,” the woman added.

The transport safety bureau, which did not identify which airline was involved, assessed that the lithium-ion batteries in the device likely caught fire.

“As the range of products using batteries grows, the potential for in-flight issues increases,” it said, reminding travellers using battery-powered devices they must be kept in an approved stowage unless in use.

READ ALSO  Breaking: Mohaglu stages protest over incarceration of Biafra women in Owerri

Spare batteries should be kept in carry-on luggage, it added.

Many airlines last year barred all Samsung Galaxy Note 7 smartphones over fire risk concerns, following reports of exploding batterie

There have been several incidents involving lithium batteries in recent years with a flight due to leave Sydney last year disembarked when smoke was seen coming from a passenger’s hand luggage.

It was later found that lithium batteries had ignited.

Also last year, a personal electronic device began belching smoke then caught on fire on a Qantas flight from Los Angeles to New York.
Source – Times of India

Be the first to comment

Leave your comment

UBA Bank
  • Blackface hits 2face again, says, when I was singing “Hard Life” 2face was busy singing, “I dey feel like Obasanjo”

    Social sharing

    Social sharing Dance hall king, Austin Amedu has come hard on his former band mate, 2face Idbia over his stand on the ongoing nationwide protest Read more

  • Out Now: Chima Chill – ‘No Sleeping’ Feat. Everybody loves Josh (Video)

    Social sharing

    Social sharingFast – rising talented artiste, Nwachukwu Kelvin Chima a.k.a Chima Chill, who hails from Enugu State and based in Lagos has released his first Read more

  • #EndSars: Nollywood celebrity Charles Okafor joins protests, urges youths to remain peaceful (Video)

    #EndSars: Nollywood celebrity Charles Okafor joins protests, urges youths to remain peaceful (Video)

    Social sharing

    Social sharingNollywood celebrity Charles Okafor has joined in the throngs of Nigerian super celebrities who for the interest of the country have joined forces with Read more

  • Popular Singer, Davido Officially Signs LIYA As DMW’s First Lady (Photos)

    Social sharing

    Social sharingFollowing months of searching for a lady who could possibly follow the footsteps of Tiwa Savage, Yemi Alade or even DJ Cuppy and a Read more

  • 2020 MTV EMA: Burna Boy, Rema Nominated For Best African Act

    Social sharing

    Social sharingMTV announced nominations for the 2020 MTV EMAs, and Nigerian singers Burna Boy and Rema have been nominated for the Best African Act. BET Read more