Better days for Nigerian youths, as the Federal Government begins the enrolment of the third batch of N-Power beneficiaries, next week.
This follows consultations and a review of the submissions on the reform of the programme for greater efficiency.
The enrolment will provide opportunities for more Nigerian youths to access the programme, in furtherance of the President’s vision of lifting 100 million Nigerians out of poverty.
The current enrollees of the scheme (Batch A) will exit June 30, 2020 while Batch B will exit the programme, July 31, 2020.
In a statement issued today on Abuja, the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq said: “Applications will be conducted using a hybrid system of enrolment to ensure that all Nigerians are given an opportunity to participate. As a Ministry that caters for the vulnerable, we will also make special considerations for Persons living with disabilities.”
According to her “the online portal would be open to receive applications from noon on June 26, 2020 and will provide a level playing field for all applicants. As part of the Ministry’s reforms to make the programme more efficient, all applicants must supply their Bank Verification Number (BVN) in their application to ensure a streamlined and transparent selection process.”
She said once applications are submitted, it will review submissions and publish a list of successful applicants.
The Minister also stated that comprehensive details for the new batch will be announced in the coming weeks, noting that past beneficiaries will not be eligible to participate in the application process.
The N-Power Programme was inaugurated by President Muhammadu Buhari in 2016 under the National Social Investment Programme (NSIP) with the mandate of lifting citizens out of poverty through capacity building, investment, and direct support.
The programme has enrolled 500,000 beneficiaries so far with 200,000 from Batch A which started in September 2016 and 300,000 from Batch B which kicked off in August 2018.
The beneficiaries were supposed to spend not less than 24 months on the programme and were spread across the key industries targeted by the programme; agriculture, health, education, and tax.