By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Monday, Aug 24, 2026
9News Nigeria
  • HOME
  • EDITORIAL
  • POLITICS
  • NATIONAL
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY POLICY
9News Nigeria9News Nigeria
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Editorial
    • OPINION
  • Politics
  • National
    • Breaking News
    • Boko Haram
    • Crime and Investigation
    • Ohanaeze Ndigbo
  • Business
    • Nigerian economy
    • Investment
    • Finance
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment and lifestyle
    • Hollywood
  • World
    • Africa
    • Asia News
    • Australia
    • Europe
  • About Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms And Conditions
    • Contact Us
Follow US
Hot NewsNational

Flood Sacks 110,000 People In Benue State (Photo)

Wisdom Nwedene
Last updated: September 1, 2017 8:46 am
By Wisdom Nwedene
Share
5 Min Read
Benue Flood 6 Governor Ortom
SHARE

The Benue State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) said over 110,000 people in 24 communities including Makurdi were displaced by flood.
The Executive Secretary of the agency, Mr Boniface Ortese, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Makurdi on Wednesday that over 2, 769 households were also affected.

He explained that places affected included Achusa, Idye, Wurukum Market, Genabe, Industrial Layout, Demekpe, Wadata Market, Katungu, behind the Civil Service Commission, Agboughul-Wadata among others.

“In Achusa 200 houses were affected with 5,125 persons displaced. In Idye 217 houses were affected while 5,200 persons were displaced.
“Also, behind the Civil Service Commission 200 houses were submerged in flood and 5,777 persons were displaced.

“At Genabe, 200 houses were affected with 5,021 persons displaced, 218 houses around the Wurukum market were affected with 1,000 persons displaced, and at Wadata market150 houses were affected and 4,300 persons were displaced.

“Similarly at Industrial Layout, 69 houses were flooded and 4,310 persons displaced; Demekpe 111 houses were affected while 7,820 persons displaced,’’ the official said..

Ortese further said that 137 houses were flooded in Katungu with 6,031 persons displaced while at Agboughul-Wadata 201 houses were affected and 5,728 persons displaced.

There ought not to be Subsidy in Nigeria — Kenneth Okonkwo
36 terrorists sent to afterlife as Air-Force strikes hit two hideouts in Borno
‘Fake Agency’ Director responds, produces Appointment Letter
APC 2027: Uzodinma, Okorocha, Ekwunife Get Key Roles

He said that government was doing everything within its little resources to assist flood victims in the state.
Meanwhile, the state commissioner for Water Resources and Environment, Mr Joseph Utsev has urged the Federal Government to include Benue among states to benefit from the N1.6 billion ecological intervention fund.

Utsev said that since 2013, the state had not received any ecological assistance from the Federal Government.

He said that if adequate budgetary provisions were made, many disasters may be mitigated since natural disasters could only be controlled.
A man wades through the water more than knee length
The commissioner said that dredging the River Benue would provide permanent solution to the recurring flood in the state.

“Benue Government is looking for ways in which River Benue can be dredged; this is because by dredging the river, majority of the water can be accommodated and thus, prevent future overflow.

“The ongoing research so far, shows that the preliminary study would cost about N8 billion while the main project would gulp about N300 billion.
“And this is where we need Federal Government financial intervention to execute the project, since the funds are much,’’ he said.
However, a cross section of Makurdi residents accused the Benue State Government of doing little to protect the citizens from flood disaster over the years.
A resident told NAN “since the 2012 flood disaster, government has done little to mitigate the situation apart from talking”

The resident said that the perennial flood disaster was an opportunity for some government officials to get free money and relief materials to divert.
Mr James Udam, a resident of Idye Village told NAN that for over twenty years of his stay in the village, government has done nothing to protect residents despite their cries.
Udam said that year in year out they have been affected by flood yet government keep making promises without any action.

“This is where we find ourselves in Benue. Government officials are rather happy that there is heavy flood disaster so as to get free funds and relief materials to divert.
“The same thing is again about to happen. The only thing the government has done so far is to make noise. Not a single culvert has been constructed to mitigate the situation since 2012,” he lamented
Also, Mrs Juliana Agbo, a resident of Achusa, told NAN that their situation was pathetic as they have no shelter.

According to her, government was yet to open camp for IDPs in the state.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that government officials involved in emergency management are still awaiting the governor’s approval to open IDPs camps.
The Akume led administration awarded a N2.2 billion contract to CAD Nigeria Limited for the construction of water drainage channel that will control all the running waters down to River Benue but the project was abandoned.

Over 4000 households were submerged, property worth millions destroyed and scores died in the 2012 flood disaster.

Like this:

Like Loading…
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Surprise0
Angry0
Previous Article 5900628 fayosep1 jpeg0a21f9109db7b017c8ef341b1d37b97a Biafra : Fayose Praises Nnamdi Kanu For Meeting With South East Governors, Slams Buhari
Next Article 5901327 20170901100232 jpegfe3987a7c781c7b02ecbe9cde1b9276b BREAKING!! Kenyan Election 2017: Supreme Court Annuls Kenyatta Re-Election
Search
– Advertisement –
Latest News
  • There ought not to be Subsidy in Nigeria — Kenneth Okonkwo August 24, 2026
  • Veteran Nollywood actor Taiwo Hassan Ogogo dies at 66 August 23, 2026
  • Mary Habila laid to rest in Kaduna amid autopsy dispute August 23, 2026
  • No Vacancy In Nigeria’s Presidency Ahead of 2027- Yilwatda August 23, 2026
  • 101-year-old great-grandmother arrested for selling cannabis in Ogun August 23, 2026
  • 2027: 500 Northern Islamic scholars endorse Tinubu for re-election August 23, 2026
  • 36 terrorists sent to afterlife as Air-Force strikes hit two hideouts in Borno August 23, 2026
  • ‘Fake Agency’ Director responds, produces Appointment Letter August 23, 2026
  • APC Chairman Okpe Takes Delivery of Owerri West Campaign Bus August 22, 2026
  • Uzodinma Unveils Campaign Buses, Targets 100% APC Victory in Imo August 22, 2026
– Advertisement –
9News Nigeria
  • Editorial
  • OPINION
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
World News
  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Global Economy
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics
News Categories
  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • Sober House
  • National Security
Entertainment and Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships

You May also Like

IMG 5629
EbonyiNigeria News

I will not take Salary or Allowance — Minister’s Son Osborn Umahi Wins Council Election

August 22, 2026
IMG 5626
Nigeria NewsInsecurity

Troops rescue Victim, Foil Terrorist Attacks in Kaduna, Sokoto

August 22, 2026
FB IMG 1787350278462
Nigerian economyHot News

UBA Employs 374 Young Graduates, Boosts Economy by ₦149m Monthly

August 21, 2026
Screenshot 20260821 165510 1
Latest NewsNational

Okpebholo denies banning Davido from entering Edo

August 21, 2026
1779888342000 6
NationalNational Issues

Fake Agency: Tinubu Orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends 3 Permanent Secretaries

August 21, 2026
IMG 5618
KwaraNational

Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns from APC

August 21, 2026
Show More
  • More News:
  • Europe News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • 9News Nigeria - Nigeria Breaking News
  • Nigeria Politics
  • Sports
  • Imo state
  • Opinion
  • National Security
  • Events
  • Editorial
  • Inspiration
  • Trending news
  • Bible Messages
  • Religion
  • Jesus Christ the saviour
  • World News
  • The Love of God
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Business

9NEWS NIGERIA

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

NEWS CATEGORIES

  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • National Security

WORLD NEWS

  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics

ENTERTAINMENT AND LIFESTYLE

  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d