The Kemi Adeosun’s scandal, now refered to as #KemiGate has exposed how deficient our institutions are and we all need be worried. Beyond any doubt, it has been established that the former minister of Finance procured fake NYSC certificate, which she has now admitted in her resignation letter, many months after the news broke.
These are 5 issues to worry about:
1. Adeosun obtained fake NYSC certificate, which is against the law. How did this happen?
2. Ogun State House of Assembly didn’t detect this forgery and she was cleared for appointment as commissioner. A whole state legislative house.
3. DSS, Nigeria’s intelligent agency didn’t detect this also and she was adjudged by the agency as clean to be recommended as Minister. How? If DSS couldn’t detect this simple matter, shouldn’t we be worried about our national security?
4. National Assembly also didn’t detect this highly sensitive matter as she was confirmed as Minister. I mean, we may overlook the state assembly and claim they have limited authority. What about the National Assembly? What stopped them from detecting this?
5. Surprisingly, what all our institution couldn’t detect, a journalist, who is committed to duty detected it and establish the fact beyond any reasonable doubt.
Without any budget. Without allowance. Without power of oversight. Without security knowledge.
The journalist did it.
Isn’t this worrisome?