Due to the prevailing insecurity in the state, occasioned by armed banditry which has led to huge loss of lives and properties, undermining free movement of people, goods and services in the affected areas, the Governor of Sokoto State Aminu Waziri Tambuwal has approved an Executive Order in response to the situation.
Leaning on constitutional power conferred upon him by Subsection (2) of Section 176 of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended, Governor Tambuwal issued the order to be known as: Security Challenges (Containment) Order.
The Order took effect from September 1, 2021 and directs as follows:
- Immediate total closure of Isa Marnona Road to all motorists until
further notice. Travelers plying that road are advised to go through
Goronyo-Sabon Birni axis.
- Lorries/Trucks or other vehicles carrying firewood from the forests are
- Suspension of the sale of all animals at the markets of Gada, Goronyo,
Gudu, Ilela, Isa, Kebbe, Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah Tambuwal
Tangaza, Tureta and Wurno Local Governments Areas;
- Prohibition of transportation of cattle using trucks/lorries in Gada,
Goronyo, Gudu, Illela, Isa, Kebbe, Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah Tambuwal Tangaza, Tureta and Wurno Local Governments Areas;
- Prohibition of carrying 3 persons on motorcycles and more than 3
passengers on a tricycle throughout the State;
- Prohibition of the sale of second-hand motorcycles at Gada, Goronyo, Gudu, Ilela, Isa, Kebbe , Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah Tambuwal
Tangaza, Tureta, Achida, Gande, Gwadabawa and Wurno Markets;
- Prohibition of operation of commercial tricycles and motorcycles from 10:00 pm to 6:00 a.m in the State Capital, and 6:00 p.m 6:00 a.m in Gada
Goronyo, Gudu, Gwadabawa, Illela, Isa, Kebbe, Sabon Birni, Shagari,
Rabah Tambuwal Tangaz, Tureta and Wurno Local Governments
- Prohibition of the sale of petrol in jerrycans at filling stations;
- Only designated Filling stations are allowed to sell petrol and diesel of
not more than N5,000.00 to motorists in Gada, Goronyo, Gudu, Ilela, Isa, Kebbe, Sabon Birni, Shagari, Rabah, Tambuwal Tangaza, Tureta and Wurno Local Governments Areas
- Only authorized essential workers (health personnel, security personnel
and Joumalists) could use tricycles and motorcycles beyond the banned
The “Security Challenges (Containment) order” made public from a Press Statement signed by the State Commissioner for Information, Alhaji Isa Bajini further emphasized that the Governor urges the people of Sokoto State to adhere to the provisions of the order, which is passed after wide consultation with all Stakeholders and constituted authorities as well security and law enforcement agencies.
Underscoring that the Government took the measure out of the need to introduce additional countervailing measures in the
affected areas in order to contain the banditry and mitigate the damages it
is causing to social and economic activities and preserve peace.