Sri Lanka’s Malinga gets suspended ban for media comments

Paying Social Media Jobs
Sri Lanka's Lasith Malinga. India v Sri Lanka - 2017 ICC Champions Trophy Group B - The Oval - June 8, 2017. Reuters / Peter Cziborra
Social sharing

COLOMBO (Reuters) – Sri Lanka fast bowler Lasith Malinga has received a suspended one-year ban after pleading guilty to comments he made to the media in breach of his contract, the country’s cricket board has said.

The 33-year-old’s sanction will be suspended for six months and he would also lose 50 percent of his match from the next one-day international he plays in case of a similar breach, Sri Lanka Cricket said in a statement.

After his return from the Champions Trophy, Malinga had twice breached the terms of his contract by making statements to the media without the prior written consent of the board’s Chief Executive Officer, SLC had said while launching a disciplinary inquiry against the fast bowler.

Malinga has been named in the 13-man squad for Sri Lanka’s first two ODIs against Zimbabwe at home. The African nation will play five ODIs and a lone test on their tour.

Former South Africa wicketkeeper-batsman Nic Pothas has been named Sri Lanka’s interim coach after Graham Ford stepped down last week.

(Reporting by Sudipto Ganguly in Mumbai; editing by Amlan Chakraborty)

 

READ ALSO  Former US Sportsman Out Soon From Prison (Photo)
About 9News Nigeria 7429 Articles
9News Nigeria is Nigeria's favourite news source.For Authentic, Unbiased News on Politics, Business, Sports, Technology, Entertainment and Lifestyles, Health, Nollywood, Crime and Investigations, Family and Relationships, Inspirations .. and much more.For Latest News from Africa and around the world, 9News Nigeria is your best source. WhatsApp +2348115805632 Email: info@9newsng.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/9NewsNG | Twitter/Instagram: @9newsng

Be the first to comment

Leave your comment

Paying Social Media Jobs
Paying Social Media Jobs
Paying Social Media Jobs