The build-up to yesterday’s general elections in Nigeria was filled with heated activities around the political sphere. After the characteristics postponement of the elections by INEC last Saturday, parties and candidates made sure to secure their final strategic moves before Nigerians would go to the ballot. A few party faithfuls made last minutes defection to opposition parties, assurances of victory by candidates were given, and finally, Nigerians went out en masse to exercise their franchise.
In all the activities that happened during the week, 9News Nigeria have been on ground to bring you every detail. If you missed any of our interesting news that made headlines during the week, here’s a special recap for you.
MONDAY, 18th February
- PDP dares INEC, says will resume campaigns
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), says the administrative prohibition of the resumption of political campaigns by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) contravened the Electoral Law.
The PDP National Publicity Secretary,…
- Police Confirm Murder Of APC Chairman In Benue
Benue State police command has confirmed the assassination of the chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Ohimini local government area, of Benue State, Mr Boniface Okoloho .
Our correspondent gathered that…
- AUDIO: Buhari Doesn’t Have The Kind Of Money I Can Steal, Says Tinubu
Bola Tinubu, National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has been captured on audio saying President Muhammadu Buhari doesn’t have the kind of money he can steal.
The former Lagos Governor said this in an audio recording…
- “Snatch Ballot Box, Pay With Your Life” – Buhari
PRESIDENT Muhammadu Buhari has warned those planning to snatch ballot boxes during the elections as he said that those caught doing that will pay with his or her live.President Buhari who stated this at the opening session of the All Progressives Congress…
- Amaechi, Osinbajo And Other APC Leaders Looking Visibly “Defeated” At APC Meeting (Photos)
The APC caucus meeting which was partly aired on Channels Television, has since shown the desperation of the ruling APC to continue in leadership positions, even when it is clear that the party has run out of favor with Nigerians.
- Group Exposes How Obasanjo, PDP, Others Manipulated INEC To Pre-Write Result In Favour Of Atiku, PDP
Fresh facts have emerged over what led to the postponement of the Presidential and National Assembly elections, earlier slated for Saturday, February 16, 2019.
Recall that the Independent National Electoral Commission…
- Election Postponement: Calls For Resignation Of INEC Chairman Unfair – NANS
The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) says it is unfair to call for the resignation of Prof. Mahmood Yakubu as Chairman of Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) over election postponement.
TUESDAY, 19th February
- Buhari Showing His True Colours With Death Threat – Atiku
The presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, yesterday said President Muhammadu Buhari was showing his “true colours and complete disregard for the constitution” by saying ballot boxes’ snatchers would be doing so at the expense of their lives.
- REVEALED!!! How Atiku Bribed Secondus With Intels Shares To Secure PDP Ticket (See Document)
According to report, there are documents revealing how the Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar allegedly bribed the Chairman of the party, Uche Secondus with board membership of his company, Intels Nigeria Limited [INL], to secure the party’s ticket.
- PDP’s $3m per state cash-for-vote plot Exposed.
Security agencies have uncovered how the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has allocated about $3million (N1.8billion) to each state branch of the party, allegedly for inducement of voters.
- ‘Presidency, APC Plotting To Remove INEC Chairman’ – Speaker Dogara Reveals
Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara has accused the Presidency and the All Progressives Congress, APC, of plotting to embarrass…
- Why Southeast Must Take Atiku/Obi Ticket As Special Project – Igbo Union
A pan Igbo organization, Igbo Improvement Union (IIU) on Monday in Enugu renewed support for Alhaji Atiku Abubakar and his running mate, Mr. Peter Obi, both of the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
- “Your Promised 3m Votes Intact Despite Postponed Elections” – Gov. Masari Tells Buhari
Gov. Aminu Masari of Katsina state says the postponed elections will not affect the promise made by Katsina people to deliver three million votes for re-election bid of President Muhammadu Buhari on Feb. 23.
- Obasanjo’s Strange Allegations And Conspiracy To Compromise The 2019 General Elections
The Association of Nigerian Scholars in the Diaspora (ANSD) like, many other Nigerian organizations and Nigerians at large, was highly disappointed…
- “You Are Wrong” – INEC Chairman Differs With Buhari On Punishment For Ballot Box Snatchers
Although President Muhammadu Buhari has given the Military and the Police the power to be ruthless as ballot box snatchers because they commit the offence “at risk to their own lives”, Professor Mahmood Yakubu has expressed…
WEDNESDAY, 20th February
- History will condemn you if presidential election is not free and fair, Atiku tells Buhari
Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar, has said that President Muhammadu Buhari must ensure Saturday’s presidential election is credible, free and fair or risk condemnation by Nigerians and history.
- “Rig And Die”’Yoruba Youths Back Buhari, Urge Those Planning Violence To Retrace Their Steps
The Progressive Yoruba Youths (PYY) has backed president Muhammadu Buhari over strict measures put in place against Nigerians plotting to jeopardise the forthcoming elections.
- Snatch Ballot Box, Face Grave Consequence, IG Echoes Buhari
The acting Inspector General of Police (IG) Mohammed Adamu Tuesday in Abuja, echoed President Muhammadu Buhari, threatening that anyone who engages in ballot box snatching during Saturday’s poll will face the music.
- “Buhari’s Punishment For Ballot Snatchers Constitutional” – Keyamo
Festus Keyamo, the re-election campaign spokesman for President Muhammadu Buhari who seeks a second term in office, says the punishment the Nigerian leader prefers and wants to unleash on ballot box snatchers is constitutional.
- Yoruba Beware: This Election is Not About Igbo – Yoruba Tribal Sentiment
There has been a foul and despicable propaganda message circulating around and targeting Yorubas and voters from the South western region of Nigeria.
- What God Told Me About Presidential Election – Sen. Melaye Reveals
The Senator representing Kogi West, Dino Melaye, has revealed that God told him that the presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Atiku Abubakar, will become the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
- Elections Postponement: FG Orders Immediate Payment Of February Salaries
The Federal government has ordered the immediate payment of February salaries to all federal workers to cushion the effect of elections postponement.
- Atiku Insists On Selling NNPC, Reveals Why
Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party on Wednesday in Kaduna reiterated his plan to privatise the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation(NNPC), if elected president on Feb 23.
- Ohanaeze cannot influence Igbo voters – Moghalu
Chief Kingsley Moghalu, presidential candidate of the Young People’s Party (YPP), says the endorsement of a particular candidate by Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo is in vain.
THURSDAY, 21st February
- “No Alternative To President Buhari” – Akpabio Insists
The National Coordinator, Presidential Support Committee, Senator Godswill Akpabio has insisted that considering the achievements of the President Muhammadu Buhari – led administration in office, …
- Buhari Vs Atiku: 8 International Analysts Predict Winner Of 2019 Election
The two leading candidates are President Muhammadu Buhari of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and Alhaji Atiku Abubakar of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
- PDP Will Be Defeated On Saturday – Tinubu
All Progressives Congress (APC) Presidential Campaign Council Co-chairman Asiwaju Bola Tinubu yesterday urged party members in Lagos to intensify the mobilisation for Saturday’s rescheduled presidential and National Assembly elections.
- Card Readers Will Shut Down By 10pm On Election Day – INEC Assures Voters
Mahmood Yakubu, INEC chairman, disclosed this at a press briefing on the progress made by the commission in Abuja. on Wednesday.
- I Remain A Member Of The APC – Buba Galadima
A spokesman for the Atiku Abubakar Campaign Organisation, Buba Galadima, insists he is still a member of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
Galadima, who was a guest on Channels TV’s ‘The Verdict’…
- 12 presidential candidates dump ambition, endorse Buhari for Saturday election
Ahead of Saturday’s rescheduled elections, 12 presidential candidates under the auspices of the Forum of Presidential Candidates of Political Parties for Good Governance on Thursday..
- Court of Appeal clears Zamfara APC candidates for 2019 elections
The Court of Appeal in Abuja has set aside a decision of the Federal High Court which affirmed the exclusion of the All Progressives Congress candidates in Zamfara State from the forthcoming general elections.
FRIDAY 22nd February
- 2019: Buhari Will Concede If Defeated, Congratulate Winner – APC
The All Progressive Congress (APC) has said President Muhammadu Buhari, if defeated in the rescheduled presidential election, will concede defeat and congratulate who ever wins the race.
- I’m APC Member, Though I’m Atiku’s Spokesman — Galadima
A spokesman for the Atiku Abubakar Campaign Organisation, Buba Galadima, says he is still a member of the All Progressives Congress.
- It’s Your Choice To Remain Poor – Aisha To Nigerians
The wife of the president Mrs. Aisha Buhari, has asked Nigerians as they go to the polls on Saturday, to decide whether the poor should become poorer and the rich richer or a society where the gap begins to be reduced.
- Akpabio Exposes Buhari, Reveals Shocking Details (Video)
A throwback video where the National Coordinator, Presidential Support Committee, Senator Godswill Akpabio revealed shocking details about President Muhammadu Buhari has emerged online.
- Former PDP presidential aspirant defects to APC
A former Peoples Democratic Party presidential aspirant, Stanley Osifo, on Thursday night threw his weight behind President Muhammadu Buhari by announcing his defection to the All Progressives Congress.
- “I Won’t Return To Aso Rock If I Lose On Saturday” – Buhari Says
President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed what he will do if he loses the 2019 Presidential Elections on Saturday.
- Elections: Peace Accord Broken, APC, FG Has Declared War On Us – Secondus Uncovered
The National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Prince Uche Secondus has said that the peace accord signed by the two frontline Presidential candidates…
SATURDAY 23rd February
- HOR Member Jibrin released on bail, 17 others detained over APC, PDP clash in Kano
The Kano State Police Command has detained the member of House of Representatives, representing Kiru/Bebeji Federal Constituency , Abdulmumuni Jibrin, and 17 suspected political thugs over the clash…
- PDP sues Buhari over ballot snatchers comment,asked the court to declare the directive as unconstitutional , unlawful and void
The Peoples Democratic Party has sued President Muhammadu Buhari over his directive to the security agencies to deal ruthlessly with ballot box snatchers during the general elections.
- Maiduguri Under Attack On Election Day As Seven Explosions Occur Within Ten Minutes
Residents of Maiduguri, the Borno State capital, are currently in panic as series of explosions have rocked the city all within ten minutes.
The explosions, seven of them, began at…
- Pandemonium As Police Intercept Vehicle Loaded With Bomb In Delta (Photo)
On Friday night, February 22, operatives of the Nigeria Police Force intercepted vehicle loaded with bomb along Ughelli-Patani Road Delta State, 9News Nigeria reports.
9News Nigeria gathered that…
- “I Will Be The Winner And I Will Congratulate Myself” – Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that he will emerge victorious in today’s presidential election.
9news Nigeria reports…
- Soldiers Shoot PDP Agent Dead In Rivers State (Photos)
A young man identified as Thywill was allegedly shot dead today by army in Rivers State. Below is what Chijioke wrote….
- Heavy Tension As Thugs Invade Polling Unit With Weapons, Snatch Ballot Boxes (Video)
There is currently heavy tension at Polling Unit located at Wilson Avenue, balogun bustop, Okota, Lagos State after thugs invaded the area with dangerous weapons.
According to 9news Nigeria correspondent…
- Wild Jubilations as Buhari Wins Atiku’s Polling Unit
There is wild Jubilation in the presidential candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, Polling Unit after his opponent, President Muhammadu Buhari defeated him.
9news Nigeria gathered that President…
- Buhari Wins in Obasanjo’s Polling Unit
President Muhammadu Buhari of the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) defeated the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, his main opposition…
- Jubilations As Atiku Defeats President Buhari Inside Aso Rock (See Results)
The presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, on Saturday defeated President Muhammadu Buhari in one of the two polling units located inside the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
There are two polling units in the seat power…
- #NigeriaDecides: INEC Postpones Elections in Anambra, Lagos, Rivers, Others
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has postponed elections in parts of Lagos, Rivers, Anambra states due to violence that disrupted the elections.
- #NigeriaDecides2019 : Buhari’s Spokesman, Keyamo Reacts, Tells Nigerians What To Do
President Muhammadu Buhari’s campaign Spokesman, Festus Keyamo has reacted to the Presidential and National Assembly elections held today.
In a statement made available to 9news Nigeria…
- NigeriaDecides2019: PDP Releases Emergency Press Statement
The People Democratic Party, PDP, has alerted all Nigerians and the international community to note how the All Progressives Congress (APC) has been killing innocent Nigerians, snatching and burning ballot boxes in today’s Presidential Election.
- Ortom Delivers His Polling Unit For Atiku, Ensures Buhari Didn’t Get Any Vote There
Governor Samuel Ortom has ensured that President Muhammadu Buhari didn’t get any vote in his polling in Benue State.