By Wisdom Nwedene, Abakaliki
Governor David Nweze Umahi of Ebonyi State has shutdown Government offices after some Executive Council Members got infected with the deadly Coronavirus currently ravaging the world.
In a statement made available to 9News Nigeria on Thursday by Barrister Orji Uchenna, Commissioner For Information, Umahi said he is disturbed about the way and manner some State Executive Council members were infected.
He, however, said they are also in stable conditions and revealed that in order to ensure effective contact tracing, he has directed that all Government offices be shut down from Thursday,4th June 2020 and resume on Wednesday, 10th June 2020.
He said all civil servants shall work from their respective homes within this period but shall leave their phones open to respond to official imperativesm
The Statement Reads In Parts ;
1) The Governor is concerned about the number of Coronavirus cases recorded in the state which has unfortunately risen to 75 out of over 3, 000 samples tested.
2) In view of this develoment, he passionately appeals to all sons and daughters of Ebonyi State who are living outside the shores of the state to avoid the risk of returning to the state, as records have shown that the positive cases hitherto recorded in the state were those who returned from the epicentre states.
3) The Governor further pleads with our people to take seriously the NCDC COVID-19 Protocols, especially all precautionary measures such as hand washing, use of hand sanitizers, use of face masks, social distancing and avoiding of crowded places, moreso as we have entered into another phase of spread of COVID-19 called community transmission.
4) Whereas we have discharged a total of 26 COVID-19 cases and 49 cases still receiving treatment and in stable conditions, the Governor is disturbed about the way and manner some State Executive Council members were infected, although they are also in stable conditions .In order to ensure effective contact tracing, he has directed that all Government offices be shut down from Thursday,4th June 2020 and resume on Wednesday, 10th June 2020.
5) All civil servants shall work from their respective homes within this period but shall leave their phones open to respond to official imperatives.
6) The Governor further directs Dr Richard Nnabo and his team to commence comprehensive decontamination of Government offices including the new and old Government House complex. All Exco members and Government officials especially of the Ministries of Finance and and Budget are advised to undergo COVID-19 test within this seven days period.
7) The Governor further advises that during this period of close down of Government offices, all workers especially from the two Ministries aforementioned should go into self isolation.All site operations shall however remain open, but must be in strict observance of COVID-19- protocols.
7) Meanwhile, the Governor commends all those who have made concerted efforts in our fight against Coronavirus pandemic and warmly congratulates the newly appointed Caretaker Chairmen for their wonderful handling of COVID-19 emergencies.