MELBOURNE(9News)-One person has been killed, and another two injured, after a man went on a stabbing frenzy in Bourke Street, Melbourne, this afternoon.
Video shows a man wielding a knife and attacking a group of police officers near the intersection of Swanston Street about 4.20pm today.
The man is then shot in the chest by one of the officers.
Superintendent David Clayton confirmed the suspect had stabbed three other people before attacking police.
“Passers-by were calling out that members of the public had been stabbed,” Supt Clayton said.
One of the victims has died, while the others have been taken to hospital with upper-body injuries. The condition of the surviving pair is unknown.
The police officers filmed in the video were not injured.
The confrontation occurred moments after police were called to a car fire near the intersection of Swanston Street, in the heart of the CBD.
“Nearby police responded to the incident, and as they got out of the car they were confronted by a man brandishing a knife and threatening them” Supt Clayton said.
“Police shot the man in the chest.”
The suspect has been taken to hospital in a critical condition under police guard.
Supt Clayton said police are not looking for any offenders at this stage.
“There is no known link to terrorism. Will keep an open mind as to whether it is linked,” he said.
“It is very early in the investigation.”
The Bomb Response Unit is now on-scene to conduct safety checks on the burnt-out vehicle.
Meanwhile, police continue to urge the public to avoid the centre of the city. Hundreds of officers and emergency services remain at the scene.
The opening ceremony for the Myer Christmas Windows has been cancelled in wake of the incident.
There is no traffic access from Swanston Street to Exhibition Street, VicRoads said in a statement.
“The road will be re-opened when investigations are complete and it’s safe to do so.”
Tram services have also been halted on Swanston and Bourke Streets.
Witness are being urged to come forward to police at Melbourne West Station, or submit video to investigators here.
If members of the public have images or video footage that may assist police with their investigation into the Bourke Street incident that occurred just after 4pm today, they are encouraged to upload them here → https://t.co/swUcgLVz23 pic.twitter.com/XD2ST6y6aT
— Victoria Police (@VictoriaPolice) November 9, 2018
Thank you to the @VictoriaPolice officers who responded so bravely, and the every day Victorians who came to the aid of complete strangers. Please continue to avoid the area. Anyone with information should attend Melbourne West Police Station to make a statement.
— Daniel Andrews (@DanielAndrewsMP) November 9, 2018
Leah Drew told 9News she heard a loud bang before the car fire.
“I saw the car on fire, it was a skeleton of the car. I people running and screaming, and the ambulance shouting there was a car bomb,” she said.
Markel Villasin, 22, was finishing his shift at KFC on Bourke Street as the drama unfolded.
“Me and the managers ran out and that’s when we saw the car on fire and then we saw the guy on the floor and we wanted to help, there were two blokes helping him out already, he was face down pools of blood around his face,” Mr Villasin said.
“I’m pretty sure he got stabbed in the face.
“I really wanted to help but I was in shock, I didn’t know what to do.
“Because he was on his stomach, they turned him over to see if he’s alright, he was still alive.”