The Edo State Government has dismissed reports that popular Nigerian music star, David Adeleke, popularly known as Davido, has been banned from entering the state, describing the claim as false and the work of individuals seeking to create unnecessary tension.
The state Commissioner for information and Strategy, Kassim Afegbua, in a statement, on Friday, said the government had no involvement in any purported ban and reaffirmed Edo State’s position as a welcoming home to all Nigerians, irrespective of their political affiliation, beliefs or association.
Afegbua further started that the Edo State Government would be willing to collaborate with Davido if he chooses to perform in the state in future.
“Davido is one of our illustrious sons, whose mother hails from Edo State. He is exemplary, and we are pleased to associate with him”, Afegbua said.
He added that Governor Monday Okpebholo has maintained a balanced approach in relating with the various demographic and political interests across the state.
He explained that whatever disagreements may have emerged during the aftermath of the recent Osun election were purely political and should not be interpreted as personal dispute between Davido and Edo Government.
Afegbua, however, described Davido as one of Nigeria’s prominent global ambassadors, praising his contributions to the country’s image and his ability to build bridges across social and political divides.
“As a government, we are pleased with his conduct, commitment and calculated conquest in the music industry. Indeed, we look forward to being awarded a Grammy title”, he added.
The Edo Government therefore urged the public to disregard reports suggesting that Davido had been barred from entering or visiting the state, assuring that “Edo remained a home for all and Davido is welcome”.
-9News Nigeria.
