British police said they arrested a 23-year-old man Monday in connection with last week’s deadly bombing at a concert in Manchester, bringing the total number of people in custody in Britain to 14.
Greater Manchester Police said in a statement that Monday’s arrest took place in Shoreham-by-Sea “on suspicion [of] offenses contrary to the terrorism act.”
A similar statement accompanied other arrests Sunday of a 25-year-old man in the Old Trafford area of Manchester and a 19-year-old man in the Gorton area.
The May 22 suicide bombing in the lobby of Manchester Arena just after a concert by American pop star Ariana Grande killed 22 people and injured more than 100 others.
Police have identified the attacker as 22-year-old Salman Abedi, a Manchester native, and are working to piece together his movements in the final weeks before the bombing as well as who else may have been involved.
A total of 16 people have been arrested in the investigation, however, two of them, a woman and a teenage boy, have since been released without charges.
As the probe continues, Britain lowered its security threat level Saturday to “severe,” Prime Minister Theresa May said.
The level had been raised to “critical” — meaning another attack was thought to be imminent — after the concert bombing. The downgrade to “severe” means an attack still is considered highly likely.
Source – VOA