By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Saturday, Aug 22, 2026
9News Nigeria
  • HOME
  • EDITORIAL
  • POLITICS
  • NATIONAL
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY POLICY
9News Nigeria9News Nigeria
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Editorial
    • OPINION
  • Politics
  • National
    • Breaking News
    • Boko Haram
    • Crime and Investigation
    • Ohanaeze Ndigbo
  • Business
    • Nigerian economy
    • Investment
    • Finance
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment and lifestyle
    • Hollywood
  • World
    • Africa
    • Asia News
    • Australia
    • Europe
  • About Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms And Conditions
    • Contact Us
Follow US
Boko HaramBreaking NewsHot NewsNationalNational Security

Nigerian Army expects to seize Boko Haram’s last few strongholds in few more weeks

9News Nigeria
Last updated: August 31, 2016 11:39 am
By 9News Nigeria
Share
5 Min Read
Nigerian army commander only weeks left for Boko Haram
Nigerian army soldiers stand guard as they cordon off a road leading to the scene of a blast at a business district in Abuja June 25, 2014. REUTERS/Afolabi Sotunde
SHARE

By Ulf Laessing and Lanre Ola

MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (Reuters) – Nigeria’s army expects to seize Boko Haram’s last few strongholds in the northeast over the next few weeks, the commander in charge of crushing the jihadist group’s seven-year insurgency said on Wednesday.

The army missed a December deadline set by President Muhammadu Buhari to wipe out the group, which wants to set up an Islamic caliphate in the area around Lake Chad, but has retaken most of its territory – at one point the size of Belgium.

Major General Lucky Irabor, commander of the operation, said the jihadists were now holed up in a few pockets of the Sambisa forest – where more than 200 girls kidnapped from the town of Chibok in 2014 are believed to be held – and two areas near Lake Chad and would be flushed out “within weeks”.

Despite the set-backs, Boko Haram still manages to stage regular suicide bombings in Nigeria and neighbouring Chad, Niger and Cameroon. Since 2009, more than 15,000 people have been killed, 2.3 million displaced and the local economy decimated.

“Almost all of the locations held by the Boko Haram terrorists have been reclaimed. We are talking only of a few villages and towns,” Irabor said in an interview at his base in Maiduguri in Borno state, birth place of the insurgency.

UBA Employs 374 Young Graduates, Boosts Economy by ₦149m Monthly
Okpebholo denies banning Davido from entering Edo
Fake Agency: Tinubu Orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends 3 Permanent Secretaries
Senator Saliu Mustapha Resigns from APC

Much of the success is down to better military cooperation with Nigeria’s neighbours, especially Chad, whose forces have been attacking Boko Haram fighters fleeing across the border.

“There are joint operations. My commanders have an exchange with local commanders across the borders. Because of the collaborations we’ve had Boko Haram has been boxed in and in a few weeks you will hear good news,” he said.

He said the jihadists, who pledged loyalty to Islamic State last year, were still controlling Abadan and Malafatori, two towns near Lake Chad, apart from their main base in the Sambisa forest, south of Maidguri.

The army was planning a new push into Sambisa after abandoning an attempt due to torrential rain, he said.

“Earlier on this year we had a major operation in the Sambisa,” he said. “Gains were made but unfortunately the weather conditions became such that we to pull out waiting for more favorable conditions.”

He said the army had rescued some 20,000 people from Boko Haram, a fraction of the 2.2 million UNICEF said last week remained trapped in the region around Lake Chad.

LEADER “WOUNDED”

Irabor’s base on the outskirts of Maiduguri, a sprawling military complex with rows of residential blocks for officers, is the most visible sign of a shake-up introduced by Buhari, a former military ruler.

Under his predecessor, Goodluck Jonathan, the army had a reputation for being poorly equipped and running away in the face of Boko Haram assaults.

Britain and other countries have recently increased military assistance, and two Westerners wearing flat jackets could be seen jogging in the compound.

U.S. officials told Reuters in May that Washington, which blocked arms sales under Jonathan amid concerns about rights abuses, wants to sell up to 12 A-29 Super Tucano light attack aircraft to Nigeria although Congress needs to approve the deal.

Irabor has set up a human rights desk to address the issue.

“The code of conduct is quite clear. Human rights issues are taken quite seriously,” he said.

He said that Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau had recently been wounded, but backed off an Air Force statement this month suggesting he had been killed in an airstrike.

“Shekau was wounded. That’s what I can confirm, but as to whether he is dead that I cannot at the moment confirm.”

Boko Haram, which normally communicates via video or audio clips posted on the Internet, has said nothing since the Aug. 24 Air Force statement about Shekau being hurt.

(Editing by Ed Cropley and Louise Ireland)

 

Like this:

Like Loading…
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Surprise0
Angry0
By9News Nigeria
Follow:
9News Nigeria is Nigeria's favourite news source. For Authentic, Unbiased News on Politics, Business, Sports, Technology, Entertainment and Lifestyles, Health, Nollywood, Crime and Investigations, Family and Relationships, Inspirations .. and much more. For Latest News from Africa and around the world, 9News Nigeria is your best source. WhatsApp +2348115805632 Email: [email protected] Facebook: www.facebook.com/9NewsNG | Twitter/Instagram: @9newsng
Previous Article John Legend John Legend: American National Anthem is ‘a Weak Song’
Next Article Gabon electoral commission Gabon electoral commission count shows Bongo winner: sources
Search
– Advertisement –
Latest News
  • Atiku Unveils Fresh Fuel Subsidy Plan, Challenges Tinubu Over ₦30trn Federation Funds August 22, 2026
  • Tinubu Govt Drops Death Penalty Bid Against Nnamdi Kanu August 22, 2026
  • Tinubu Unveils APC 2027 Campaign Council, Picks Yari DG, Uzodimma Secretary August 22, 2026
  • Troops arrest suspected female gunrunner in Plateau August 22, 2026
  • UBA Name Correction Sparks Debate on Respect and Etiquette August 21, 2026
  • UBA Employs 374 Young Graduates, Boosts Economy by ₦149m Monthly August 21, 2026
  • Imo Records First Robotic Surgery, Makes Healthcare History August 21, 2026
  • Okpebholo denies banning Davido from entering Edo August 21, 2026
  • Nigerian Immigration arrests 55 illegal immigrants in Osun August 21, 2026
  • Fake Agency: Tinubu Orders arrest of Nwabueze, suspends 3 Permanent Secretaries August 21, 2026
– Advertisement –
9News Nigeria
  • Editorial
  • OPINION
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
World News
  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Global Economy
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics
News Categories
  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • Sober House
  • National Security
Entertainment and Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships

You May also Like

Screenshot 20260821 173223 1
Latest NewsNational

Gov. Okpebholo’s aide bans Davido from performing in Edo

August 21, 2026
Screenshot 20260821 164834 1
Breaking News

FBI Warns Release of Tinubu’s Drugs Deals Records Could Put Lives at Risk

August 21, 2026
Screenshot 20260821 151410 1
NationalLatest News

FG declares Tuesday public holiday for Eid ul Mawlid

August 21, 2026
Screenshot 20260821 111427 1
National

BUK final-year student remanded over alleged EFCC assault, N20m extortion post

August 21, 2026
IMG 5613
ImoNational

Okorocha Sues INEC over Uzodinma’s Candidacy

August 21, 2026
Screenshot 20260820 224817 1
NationalNigeria News

You did not Conquer Anybody, You won an Election — Tinubu Tells Adeleke

August 21, 2026
Show More
  • More News:
  • Europe News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • 9News Nigeria - Nigeria Breaking News
  • Nigeria Politics
  • Sports
  • Imo state
  • Opinion
  • National Security
  • Events
  • Editorial
  • Inspiration
  • Trending news
  • Bible Messages
  • Religion
  • Jesus Christ the saviour
  • World News
  • The Love of God
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Business

9NEWS NIGERIA

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

NEWS CATEGORIES

  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • National Security

WORLD NEWS

  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics

ENTERTAINMENT AND LIFESTYLE

  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d