Authorities dismiss banditry claims as security agencies launch manhunt for attackers involved in attempted abduction in Mowe, Ogun State.
A soldier was killed and another injured on Monday after suspected kidnappers launched an attack during a failed abduction attempt in the Magbon-Etido area of Mowe, Obafemi-Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State.
The incident, which occurred in the early hours of Monday, sparked widespread concern following the circulation of a viral video on social media showing what appeared to be the blood-soaked body of a military personnel inside a vehicle, alongside several other occupants.
The video, viewed by 9News Nigeria Correspondent, was accompanied by claims that “bandits are now in Magbon around Mowe” and had killed two soldiers. In the footage, a young man speaking in Yoruba was heard saying, “Won ti pa soja,” meaning, “They have killed a soldier.”
However, findings by 9News Nigeria indicate that the incident was linked to a kidnapping operation and not a bandit attack as widely speculated on social media.
Sources familiar with the development disclosed that the armed men had stormed the area in a commando-style operation with the intention of abducting a resident, prompting security personnel to intervene.
According to a community source who spoke on condition of anonymity due to the sensitive nature of the matter, the kidnappers opened fire on the soldiers during the confrontation.
“I was not around when it happened, but what I gathered was that the gunmen wanted to kidnap a man in the area and the soldiers intervened. During the exchange of gunfire, one of the soldiers was shot dead while another sustained injuries,” the source said.
Another resident also confirmed that the soldiers were responding to a kidnapping attempt when they came under attack.
“They wanted to kidnap a man and the soldiers tried to intervene, but they were shot by the kidnappers. One of the soldiers was killed and another was injured,” the source stated.
A security source who confirmed the incident to 9News Nigeria cautioned against the narrative that bandits had invaded the community.
“Yes, it happened, but it is not a bandit attack. One security personnel was killed while another was injured. The security operatives are dealing with the situation,” the source said.
Further clarification emerged through a viral voice note attributed to one Jimoh Owolabi, who identified himself as the Chairman of the Ajumoni Progressive Area Community Development Council.
Speaking in Yoruba, Owolabi dismissed reports of a bandit invasion, insisting that the attack stemmed from an attempted kidnapping involving a sand miner popularly known in the area as “Kapo.”
“My name is Jimoh Owolabi, Chairman, Area CDC, Ajumoni Progressive Area CDC. I heard that there were bandits in Magbon; it is fake news. There are no bandits in Magbon. It was kidnappers who came to attack a sand miner who is popularly called Kapo. It was during the attack that a security personnel attached to the man was killed while another was injured.
“We already have all the security agencies, the police, the army, and everyone around our community, so people should stop spreading fake news,” he said.
9News Nigeria could not independently verify Owolabi’s identity or position as of the time of filing this report.
When contacted, the spokesperson for the 35 Artillery Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Major Idereghi Samuel Alamala, urged journalists to await an official statement from the military authorities regarding the incident. As of 9:50 p.m. on Monday, no formal statement had been issued by the Army.
Meanwhile, the Ogun State Police Command has confirmed the attack and the death of the soldier.
In a statement issued on Monday by the Police Public Relations Officer, CSP Oluseyi Babaseyi, the command described the incident as a criminal attack unrelated to banditry.
“Regrettably, a soldier on security duty lost his life during the incident, while another sustained injuries and is currently receiving treatment,” the statement read.
The police spokesperson disclosed that security operatives had immediately launched a coordinated operation to track down those responsible.
“Following the report, police operatives, in collaboration with the military, swiftly mobilised to the area and commenced coordinated operations to apprehend those responsible.
“Preliminary findings do not indicate any connection between the incident and banditry activities in Ogun State. Investigations and tactical operations remain ongoing,” Babaseyi stated.
He assured residents that the situation remained under control and that additional security deployments had been made to forestall any further security breaches.
“The command assures residents that the situation is under control, security presence has been reinforced, and there is no cause for alarm,” he added.
The latest incident underscores the growing threat posed by kidnappers across different parts of the country and highlights the dangers faced by security personnel confronting criminal elements in the line of duty.
