By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
Friday, Aug 21, 2026
9News Nigeria
  • HOME
  • EDITORIAL
  • POLITICS
  • NATIONAL
  • SPORTS
  • WORLD
  • BUSINESS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • PRIVACY POLICY
9News Nigeria9News Nigeria
Font ResizerAa
Search
  • Editorial
    • OPINION
  • Politics
  • National
    • Breaking News
    • Boko Haram
    • Crime and Investigation
    • Ohanaeze Ndigbo
  • Business
    • Nigerian economy
    • Investment
    • Finance
  • Sports
  • Entertainment
    • Celebrity
    • Entertainment and lifestyle
    • Hollywood
  • World
    • Africa
    • Asia News
    • Australia
    • Europe
  • About Us
    • About Us
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms And Conditions
    • Contact Us
Follow US
Breaking NewsHot NewsSoccer

Barca win easily at Leganes, Atletico thrash Sporting

9News Nigeria
Last updated: September 18, 2016 10:14 am
By 9News Nigeria
Share
5 Min Read
Barca win easily at Leganes Atletico thrash Sporting
Football Soccer - Spanish Liga Santander - Leganes v Barcelona - Butarque stadium, Leganes, Spain 17/09/16 Barcelona's Lionel Messi celebrates goal with teammate Luis Suarez. REUTERS/Sergio Perez
SHARE

By Richard Martin

BARCELONA (Reuters) – Barcelona’s attacking trio of Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Neymar were all on target as the champions roared back into life in La Liga by thrashing promoted Leganes 5-1 away on Saturday, while Atletico Madrid thumped visitors Sporting Gijon 5-0.

Atletico strikers Antoine Griezmann, Fernando Torres and Kevin Gameiro all found the net as Diego Simeone’s side warmed up for next Wednesday’s visit to the Nou Camp.

Elsewhere, Las Palmas maintained their excellent start to the campaign by beating Malaga 1-0, and Sevilla’s 15-month wait for an away victory continued after they were held to a 1-1 draw at nine-man Eibar.

Messi sidefooted in a simple cross from Suarez to strike the opening goal for Barca after 15 minutes and returned the favour for the Uruguayan to nudge in the second in the 31st.

Neymar stretched Barca’s lead to three goals on the stroke of half-time, tapping in another lay off from Suarez, before Messi got his second from the penalty spot 10 minutes into the second half.

Owerri Shop Robbery: CCTV Captures Suspects
FUTO VC Visits Umuoma Nekede, Calls for Unity Against Threats
Historic Malawi reach first-ever WAFCON final
Nworie Bridge: Nekede Old Road Becomes Death Trap

Rafinha rounded off the most comfortable of Barca victories with a curled finish in the 64th minute, although Gabriel Appelt salvaged a goal for the Madrid minnows in the 80th with a free-kick whipped into the top corner.

Barcelona, beaten 2-1 by newcomers Alaves last weekend in their first loss at the Nou Camp since April 17, now have nine points from their first four La Liga games.

They join Real, who can go clear again when they play at Espanyol on Sunday, and Las Palmas at the league’s summit, while Atletico are one point behind.

“This is an important victory against a team that we knew would cause us problems in bringing the ball out. We exploited the space well and we were very active from the start,” said Luis Enrique.

After squad rotations backfired against Alaves, Luis Enrique picked a similar team to the one that battered Celtic 7-0 in the Champions League on Tuesday in Barca’s biggest ever win in European soccer’s top competition.

Atletico kickstarted their league campaign last week with a 4-0 win at Celta Vigo and raced out of the traps against Sporting, Gameiro feeding Griezmann to tap in the opener in the second minute before curling in another in the fifth.

Griezmann then cut inside to lash in the third goal in the 31st before being replaced by Torres, and the homegrown Atletico hero further delighted the Vicente Calderon by rounding off the victory with two late strikes, including an injury-time penalty.

“We knew we were doing the right things to score goals,” Torres told BeIN Sports after a rewarding afternoon for Atletico’s strikeforce.

“It’s good that all the forwards contributed with the goals and that I could do that from the bench. It’s never a good time to visit Barcelona but now we can go there feeling confident.”

Las Palmas surrendered their 100 percent record last week by losing 2-1 at Sevilla with two late strikes but got back to winning ways with a narrow win over Malaga, courtesy of midfielder Momo’s penalty in the ninth minute.

At Eibar, Luciano Vietto scored his third goal in four games to put Sevilla ahead in the 27th minute and the Europa League holders looked on course for a first away win since May 23 2015 when the hosts’ goalkeeper Yoel was sent off in the 45th minute.

Former Real Madrid midfielder Pedro Leon, however, levelled midway through the second half from close range to extend Sevilla’s search for that elusive away win, while Eibar midfielder Dani Garcia was also given a straight red card late on.

(Reporting by Richard Martin, editing by Alan Baldwin)

 

Like this:

Like Loading…
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Copy Link
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Surprise0
Angry0
By9News Nigeria
Follow:
9News Nigeria is Nigeria's favourite news source. For Authentic, Unbiased News on Politics, Business, Sports, Technology, Entertainment and Lifestyles, Health, Nollywood, Crime and Investigations, Family and Relationships, Inspirations .. and much more. For Latest News from Africa and around the world, 9News Nigeria is your best source. WhatsApp +2348115805632 Email: [email protected] Facebook: www.facebook.com/9NewsNG | Twitter/Instagram: @9newsng
Previous Article The blue diary President Buhari can’t do without 1 FG Steps Up Plans To Rescue Economy
Next Article Iranian cyclist dies after crash Iranian cyclist Sarafraz has died after crashing in the C4-5 event at the Rio Paralympics
Search
– Advertisement –
Latest News
  • BUK final-year student remanded over alleged EFCC assault, N20m extortion post August 21, 2026
  • Okorocha Sues INEC over Uzodinma’s Candidacy August 21, 2026
  • Chinese billionaire Xu Jiayin Sentenced to Life in Prison August 21, 2026
  • You did not Conquer Anybody, You won an Election — Tinubu Tells Adeleke August 21, 2026
  • Aiyedatiwa Appoints Commissioner, Advisers, 1,000 Political Aides August 21, 2026
  • Adeleke Presents Certificate of Return to Wike August 21, 2026
  • Tinubu meets re-elected Adeleke behind closed doors at Aso Rock August 20, 2026
  • 2027: Presidency fires back at Atiku over promise to restore petrol subsidy August 20, 2026
  • Omo-Agege Raises Alarm Over Alleged Threats, Holds Oborevwori Responsible, If … August 20, 2026
  • FG to start 90,000km Nationwide Fibre-Optic Project August 20, 2026
– Advertisement –
9News Nigeria
  • Editorial
  • OPINION
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us
World News
  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Global Economy
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics
News Categories
  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • Sober House
  • National Security
Entertainment and Lifestyle
  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships

You May also Like

FB IMG 1786451655532
Hot News

Nkwerre Ohaeshi Honours Anyaehie, Nwaneri, Iwuanyanwu, Others

August 11, 2026
Screenshot 20260704 210416
EditorialHot News

CHILD PROTECTION UNDER PRESSURE

August 8, 2026
1786191824029
Latest NewsSoccer

Lionel Messi’s father dies at 68 after long illness

August 8, 2026
1786112117505 1
Breaking News

NLC Demands ₦500,000 Minimum Wage, Says ₦70,000 No Longer Enough

August 7, 2026
US President, Donald Trump
Breaking NewsUSA

U.S Birth Citizenship: Trump moves to stop Birth Tourism

August 7, 2026
Zenith Bank
Breaking NewsBusiness

Zenith Bank confirms customer data breach, says financial information remains secure

August 6, 2026
Show More
  • More News:
  • Europe News
  • National News
  • Politics
  • 9News Nigeria - Nigeria Breaking News
  • Nigeria Politics
  • Sports
  • Imo state
  • Opinion
  • National Security
  • Events
  • Editorial
  • Inspiration
  • Trending news
  • Bible Messages
  • Religion
  • Jesus Christ the saviour
  • World News
  • The Love of God
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Business

9NEWS NIGERIA

  • Editorial
  • Opinion
  • Inspiration
  • Investigative Reports
  • Featured
  • Interviews
  • About Us
  • Terms And Conditions
  • Privacy Policy
  • Contact Us

NEWS CATEGORIES

  • Breaking News
  • National
  • Politics
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Health
  • Crime and Investigation
  • Nigeria Police
  • Nigerian Military
  • Biafra
  • ODUDUWA
  • Ohanaeze
  • Boko Haram
  • National Assembly
  • National History
  • National Security

WORLD NEWS

  • Africa
  • African Politics
  • Aviation News
  • Australia
  • Global Economy
  • Europe
  • Asia News
  • Middle East
  • World
  • World Politics
  • USA
  • USA Politics

ENTERTAINMENT AND LIFESTYLE

  • Entertainment
  • Entertainment and lifestyle
  • Nollywood
  • Lifestyle
  • Hollywood
  • Celebrity
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Celebrity Gossip
  • Events
  • Family & Relationships
  • Relationship Extra
  • Relationships
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?

%d