Borno and Yobe governors makes bold moves on security after 20 attacks in one month

Paying Social Media Jobs
Social sharing

Following the recent and frequent attacks in Borno and Yobe states communities by suspects Boko Haram terrorist groups, Borno State governor, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum and his twin state governor of Yobe, Mai Mala Buni had taken bold moves on security.

Reports have shown that about 20 attacks, claimed by Boko Haram and it’s factional group, Islamic State for West Africa Province (ISWAP) were carried out in the northeastern region of Nigeria in April 2021 alone. Most of these attacks were carried out in Borno State, the birthplace and headquarters of the terrorist groups, while a few in Yobe and other states in the region.

Several communities in Damboa, Konduga, Gwoza, Ngala, Abadam, Damasak and other local government areas of Borno state experience various attacks by the insurgents. While in Yobe, Gashua and Geidam local government areas among others, recorded the most attacks.

The two states’ government had been deploying several tactics and efforts, including hiring and encouraging mecheneris like hunters and other volunteer groups to compliment the effort of the Nigerian Army and other relevant security operatives in the first against insurgency and insecurity in their states.

However, the decision of the two governors to take a bold move this time most have been ignited by the two recent attacks, the first at Geidam local government area of Yobe on Friday.

Reports have shown that the insurgents operated in the community for more than 24 hours, including efforts to lure and recruit people into their sect. The incident had displaced many and forced them to seek for shelter in neighboring communities as the insurgents were said to have also returned to the community on Monday, three days after the attack.

READ ALSO  Bandits release one of the kidnapped students of Kaduna Greenfield University after ₦20million ransom was paid (Video)

In Borno, the recent attack took place on Sunday at Mainok where a military base was attacked, with a huge blow on the Nigerian Army as many damages were recorded.

According to some reports, a commander and more than ten other soldiers lost their lives during the attack while several others sustain injuries. However, the Nigerian Army through its spokesman, Brig. Gen. Mohammed Yerima on Monday said only an officer, whose name he did not disclosed was killed and other six. Yerima said five others were also injured.

On Monday morning, Governor Zulum of Borno visited President Muhammadu Buhari at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, to brief him on the prevailing security situation in his state and the northeast, while Governor Buni met with Defence Chief and also held a security meeting on Tuesday.

While there are no available details of Governor Zulum’s interaction with President Buhari, the governor’s spokesman, Isa Gusau, in a release on Tuesday said that his boss had called on the military, other armed forces and volunteers at battle fronts to remain resolute towards ending the insurgency affecting the northeastern part of the country.

Gusau said the governor has expressed concern on incidents, especially given the fact that the insurgents have ceaselessly operated along Maiduguri – Damaturu road, impacting on the safety of travelers and residents.

While sympathizing with the families of soldiers killed in Mainok and making assurances of continued collaborative efforts towards ending insurgency, Governor Zulum described the fallen soldiers as heroes, who died protecting the people of Borno and defending Nigeria’s sovereignty.

READ ALSO  Niger says US aid worker likely held by Mali jihadists

”We mourn these heroic soldiers and anyone caught at the unfortunate setback in Mainok,” Zulum said.

He added that the setback in Mainok ”will not deter the state government from its continued collaborative efforts towards ending the insurgency.”

”He urged all stakeholders at the highest levels to continually approach equipping and supporting front line troops with the fear of God, bearing in mind that everyone will one day account for his or her doings or misdoings,” Mr Gusau said.

At the security meeting held by Buni in his state capital, Damaturu, Buni said the general security situation of the state needs quick response and reassessment.

”I am pleased to state that far reaching decisions were made at the meeting with the Chief of Defence Staff, especially on reinforcement of personnel and improved strategy to effectively combat the attacks,” Buni disclosed after the meeting.

There are also no available data on the security meeting held by Governor Buni at the time of filling this report. However, this medium had reported earlier how Governor Buni met with the Chief of Defence Staff.

About Abubakar Muhammad 33 Articles
Abubakar Muhammad Senior Journalist, Editor and Author, Political Analyst, Photo Journalist and International Awardee on Photojournalism, Program Manager, 9News Nigeria North-East Regional Editor/Reporter @9News Nigeria

Be the first to comment

Leave your comment

Paying Social Media Jobs
Paying Social Media Jobs
Paying Social Media Jobs