Hello Guys! I want to believe all of you are good today. We are bringing to you another very important health issue we all need to be educated on. We shall be discussing epilepsy, and how if affects man, the signs and symptoms, causes and herbal remedies. Please enjoy.
What is epilepsy?
Epilepsy is a disorder of the brain. People who have epilepsy have electrical activity in the brain that is not normal, causing seizures. There are different types of epilepsy. In some cases, a seizure may cause jerking, uncontrolled movements, and loss of consciousness. In other cases, seizures cause only a period of confusion, a staring spell, or muscle spasms. Epilepsy is also called a “seizure disorder.”
Epilepsy is not a mental illness, and it is not a sign of low intelligence. It is also not contagious. Seizures do not normally cause brain damage. Between seizures, a person with epilepsy is no different from anyone else.
Having just one seizure is not considered to be epilepsy, about half the people who have one seizure never have another seizure. Other conditions such as fever, diabetes, heart conditions and alcohol withdrawal can also cause seizures.
Epilepsy is not one single condition; rather it is a range of different conditions that can cause seizures.
What are the signs and symptoms of epilepsy?
The primary symptom of epilepsy is seizures. These are episodes of disrupted electrical activity in the brain and can vary greatly depending on the part of the brain involved.
Before a seizure begins, some people experience dizziness or emotional changes. They also may experience changes in vision (such as hallucinations), smell (smelling an odor that isn’t there), and touch (such as numbness or tingling). Feeling these things before a seizure is called an aura. Recognizing an aura is useful as a warning that you are about to have a seizure.
Seizures can cause symptoms such as a loss of consciousness, unusual jerking movements (convulsions) as well as other unusual feelings, sensations and behaviours.
What causes epilepsy?
The cause of epilepsy is unknown in half of cases. We know that genetics (family history) play an important role.
Seizures or epilepsy can also be caused by anything that causes damage to the brain, including:
• Head injury or trauma.
• Stroke or brain haemorrhage.
• Brain infection or inflammation, such as in meningitis, encephalitis or a brain abscess.
• Brain malformations or tumours.
• Brain diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease.
• Chronic alcohol or drug use.
• Genetic factors.
• High or low blood sugar and other biochemical imbalances.
However, seizures may not develop for years after the damage to the brain occurs.
Herbal treatments of epilepsy/seizures
Epilepsy can be traditionally treated with antiseizure herbal. Although they can be extremely helpful, but these herbs may not work for everyone. There isn’t a single remedy that will work for everyone. Each case is different, and seizures vary in severity and frequency, so different kinds of epilepsy respond to different herbs and different medications, and as with any medication, these herbs can come with a risk of side effects.
Herbal treatments may complement your conventional medical treatment. In many cases, these therapies may even improve your treatment.
Some herbs might help epilepsy, others may worsen your symptoms.
Herbs to avoid in epilepsy
• Gingko biloba and St. John’s wort may interact with antiseizure medications.
• Kava, passionflower, and valerian may increase sedation.
• Garlic may interfere with your medication levels.
• Chamomile may prolong the effects of your medication.
• Schizandra may cause additional seizures.
• Herbal supplements containing ephedra or caffeine may worsen seizures. These include guarana and kola.
• Mint tea.
Herbal remedies that can help in epilepsy/seizures
• Medical cannabis; Cannabis is known by many names – the most common is marijuana. Cannabis is the Latin name used most often by botanists and pharmaceutical companies. The word marijuana usually refers to the leaves and female flowers of the cannabis plant. Medical cannabis is whole plant marijuana used for medical purposes.
Cannabinoids are substances in cannabis that act on cells in the body (called cannabinoid receptors) to cause some effect. Two major ingredients include;
- Tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, which causes the psychoactive effects of “getting high”
- Cannabidiol, or CBD, which does not cause psychoactive effects but has shown some positive effects on certain body systems. This is the part that has been effective in reducing seizures in some people with epilepsy.
Now researchers show it helps in the control of seizures and epilepsy, it also helps to normalize the brain rhythms.
• Aloe vera: Warm the leaf gel for a while. Take 1 gram once in a day.
• Guava : Prepare Infusion of Guava Leaves and Bark. Drink twice a day.
• Goat weed : Extract the juice from the leaves of Goat weed. Add 1/4 tablespoon of common salt. Put a drop in both the nostrils once a day.
• Black cumin: Mix 2 ml Honey, 1 ml Black Cumin Seed Oil in 10 ml lukewarm water. Drink it twice a day.
Attention : Do not eat Guava, Banana and Figs while implementing above mentioned remedy.
• Cayenne : Take a teaspoon of Cayenne with a glass of warm water once a day.
Bottom line; Epilepsy is a serious disease, and it’s important to prevent seizures. Traditional herbal medicine plays a significant role in the treatment of epilepsy. So, we shouldn’t discount herbal treatments for epilepsy, but treat them as separate options for epilepsy care. Despite their potential, herbal treatments still pose significant risks. The safest way to treat epilepsy is in full consultation with a professional herbalist.
For the right selection of herbal medicine for epilepsy and seizures or you also may need different treatment for the underlying cause of the epilepsy, depending on what it is, all in all you need the advice of a qualified herbalist or an homeopath. Avoid self medication.
Always feel free to call and ask questions. We are here to help. You can reach the clinical herbalist/homeopath Oluwafunmise on 08028366901 or 08183554665 or visit www.farmherbalpro.com