Nigeria/Ghana Diplomatic Row: FG Assures Nigerian Traders Of Safe Evacuation From Ghana

President Muhammadu Buhari
President Muhammadu Buhari
Social sharing

By Taofeek LAWAL

The Federal Government has assured Nigerian traders in Ghana of the plan to evacuate them from Ghana following the harrowing experience the traders have been subjected to by Ghanaian authorities.

The assurance was given by the Minister of State, Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Zubairu Dada, when he received a delegation of Nigerian Union of Traders Union in Ghana (NUTAG) led by Dr Ken Ukaoha in Abuja on Thursday.

The minister said the joint ministerial task force set up by the Federal Government in March has strategised on the best approach to evacuate the traders from Ghana anytime soon.

He added that the evacuation is just one of the many actions to be taken by the Nigerian government as the matter will be addressed holistically.

He stated that the evacuation will commence after the Ghana general elections on December 7, 2020 and commended the traders for their patience so far.

The traders expressed appreciation for the efforts being put in place by the Nigerian government for their safe evacuation back to their fatherland.

“We are glad and appreciative of the efforts put by the Federal Government of Nigeria over her citizens in Ghana who are our members. And in response to the appeal letter we sent to the President over the suffering of our traders in Ghana, we have come to learn that the government has evaluated the pros and cons of all our appeal and has also decided to respond. the response is so positive to us in the sense that government is not leaving any stone unturned. Government is also exploring all available diplomatic and reciprocal means and when it gets to moving our people out of Ghana, Government has also said they are going to respond to that but we should allow elections to pass over and we are very comfortable with that and therefore we commend our President and commend his administration for finding us worthy to be given some protection,” Dr Ken Ukaoha, the head of the delegation told newsmen.

READ ALSO  John Kerry visits Sokoto to address issues on Religious Moderation and Extremism

He said the list of 753 people, which included traders and other business actors, to be evacuated from Ghana has been given to the government.

The chief executive officer of the Nigeria in Diaspora Commission, Hon, ABike Dabiri-Erewa was also at the briefing.

Leave your comment on this post
About Taofeek Olayemi Lawal 205 Articles
Taofeek Olayemi Lawal is a senior correspondent with 9News Nigeria. Reporter for Women Advancement For Economic & Leadership Empowerment Foundation in Africa (WAELE). He has over 10 years experience in journalism and served as Senior Correspondent for LEADERSHIP Newspaper Abuja as well as Champion Newspaper Limited, Lagos. Contact Taofeek Olayemi Lawal by email or phone call. Phone: +234 805 307 4114, 081 0464 0001 Email: sportsesho@yahoo.com

Be the first to comment

Leave your comment