9News Australia bans popular ‘live show’ presenter for Sh** comments about slain George Floyd

Sam Newman and George Floyd
Sam Newman and George Floyd
Social sharing

Sam Newman, the controversial football figure, will no longer appear on the Channel 9 network following recent backlash.

John Noel William Newman better known as Sam Newman, is an Australian media executive and radio and television personality.

The recent backlash caused by Sam Newman has seen the former AFL player and the Channel 9 network part ways.

Newman tweeted out the news that he and the network had “mutually” agreed to split following severe backlash over his comments about George Floyd and ongoing Black Lives Matter protests.

Throughout his time in the media, Newman has raised eyebrows with comments he makes and acts he pulls off on the air.

“Let’s see how this gets reported. Can’t wait. The 9 network and I have MUTUALLY decided that, in the station’s best interests, I withdraw form appearing on their programs – forthwith. And, for me, the last 35-odd years have been fantastic. Really!” Newman tweeted.

His latest comments through the week however seem to have brought his longstanding run with the network to an end.

“Sam Newman announced today that he would no longer appear on Nine. The decision was made mutually and amicably,” a statement from Channel 9 read.

“We thank Sam for his service with Nine over several decades. His contribution to The Footy Show was paramount to the enormous ratings success the show enjoyed over many years.”

READ ALSO  Nollywood Producer, Chioma Okoye, Says Her Life Is In Danger

The 74-year-old was a mainstay on the Footy Show since it first went to air back in 1994, but he came under heavy fire when he unleashed an explosive rant about George Floyd while also taking aim at LeBron James.

Sam Newman’s latest comments have brought an end to his long-running Channel 9 relationship.

Sam Newman’s latest comments have brought an end to his long-running Channel 9 relationship.Source:Supplied

While describing Floyd’s death as “disgraceful”, Newman suggested the pedestal he was being put up on as the face of the Black Lives Matter movement was wrong because of his history.

“George Floyd … is piece of s***,” Newman said on his podcast You Cannot Be Serious. “He has been in jail five times, he held up a pregnant black woman with a knife, he’s a drug addict, he’s a crackhead and he’s a pornstar.”

“He’s dead because of the police brutality and it never should have happened. But I am telling you who George Floyd is, now they’ve made a monument about him and he’s a piece of shit”.

The comments ignited a furious response on social media, with Channel 9 copping heavy criticism to let the man go.

Rosie Thomas, the co-founder of Project Rockit, a youth-driven movement against bullying, hate and prejudice, tweeted to Channel 9 saying “it’s time to #StandDownSam hate is not commentary and it’s definitely not footy”.

She linked to an online petition started by Democracy in Colour calling for Newman’s long association with the broadcaster to end.

A poll on if Channel 9 should sack Newman was ran earlier on Friday and received over 16,000 votes. 63 per cent of those votes said Newman should not be fired.

READ ALSO  Australia Govt announces intentions to heavily target ISIS, warns of increased terror attacks in Asia

News of his departure from the network was met with happiness across social media.

https://twitter.com/MeggiePalmer/status/1273898350560116736

Leave your comment on this post
About 9News Nigeria 11206 Articles
9News Nigeria is Nigeria's favourite news source. For Authentic, Unbiased News on Politics, Business, Sports, Technology, Entertainment and Lifestyles, Health, Nollywood, Crime and Investigations, Family and Relationships, Inspirations .. and much more. For Latest News from Africa and around the world, 9News Nigeria is your best source. WhatsApp +2348115805632 Email: info@9newsng.com Facebook: www.facebook.com/9NewsNG | Twitter/Instagram: @9newsng

Be the first to comment

Leave your comment